WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Machine freezez Will not let me Download MBAM

2 posters

descriptionMachine freezez  Will not let me Download MBAM - Page 3 EmptyRe: Machine freezez Will not let me Download MBAM

more_horiz
horahack wrote:
Internet Explorer for the moment, but I plan to put Fire Fox on it.

Then you have to set up IE and FF to remember or not remeber your visits in the privacy tabs.

descriptionMachine freezez  Will not let me Download MBAM - Page 3 EmptyRe: Machine freezez Will not let me Download MBAM

more_horiz
Dave, this machine is still messed up. It keeps trying to open the eset page, even after I removed it from add remove. It also tries to redirect and there appear to be some toolbars that shouldn't be there. Also, I keep getting that Windows sound, or chime you get when you hit something in error. Still freezes up and when I tried to download FireFox, I'm still getting that message that says, "Your current settings does not allow this file to be downloaded" I'm posting this from the infected computer, so I can probably work the fixes from here now, rather than risk infecting my other laptop.

Please help, about to throw this machine out the window.

more_horiz
Please help, about to throw this machine out the window..

That's why they call it Windows. I'm sure just about everyone has had that urge. Let's try to fix IE. Click on Tools in IE and select Options. Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset at the bottom.
Please run AdwCleaner and MBAM again to see if anything comes up.

more_horiz
Closest thing I could find was restore defaults. which I did, but Mbam won't run. Says scan failed to run successfully. Also, that message that License Expired still pops up.

more_horiz
You mentioned that you have a previous version of MBAM on your computer. Please try uninstalling it and download a new one.

more_horiz
Okay, Dave: I finally got the old Mbam uninstalled and reinstalled the version from this thread. Looks like it came up with nothin: See report below. We bought a new laptop, but I'd still like to get this one debugged if we can.

Thanks

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 11/25/2014
Scan Time: 6:50:27 PM
Logfile: Mbam Log.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.3.1025
Malware Database: v2014.09.19.05
Rootkit Database: v2014.09.18.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Pat

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 456443
Time Elapsed: 1 hr, 11 min, 49 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Warn
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

more_horiz
Ok, please give me an update on the computer. What's happening with it now?

more_horiz
Still runs slow freezes up from time to time, and it keeps making that sound.  Like a goose honking or dog barking or something.  It's one of the Windows chimes, like you get when you do something in error, only the machine does it on it's own.  Did it just now while I'm typing this.  Pat's is laughing at my goose honking analogy, but that's what it sounds like to me, or one of those novelty horns with the squeeze bulbs.  She says it sounds like that when the battery is low, but it is plugged in to the ac adapter.

You think this may be some kind of hardware issue?  I know the battery is bad, only lasts about an hour, but I just keep it plugged in all the time.

Oh, and it still won't let me download anything.  Been trying to download Fire Fox, but it says my current settings won't allow this file to be downloaded.  Same thing with Mbam and Addware cleaner. Had to transfer every thing on a thumb drive.

more_horiz
It does sound like a hardware problem. Let's test the hard drive.

Run hard drive diagnostics: tacktech.com
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: imgburn to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here:

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

more_horiz
Dave.  I can't find the hard drive diagnostic on the tacktech web poage.  Where do I look.  I really don't think this machine is infected with a virus.  I fixed the dog yapping by turning the volume off.  But there is surely something wrong.  I can't download anything.  When I try to install a tool I still get the message, " Your current settings won't allow this download."  I'd really like to install Fire Fox, but can not.  I'm sure when I find the hard drive diagnostic tool I'll have the same problem.

Is there anyway to restore this machine back to it's original settings, like it was out of the box? There is really nothing on it I need to save.

more_horiz
Is there anyway to restore this machine back to it's original settings, like it was out of the box? There is really nothing on it I need to save.

You can run the Recovery Console that should be installed on a separate partition of your hard drive. You can find instructions here.

more_horiz
Okay, Dave. I am restoring to factory default. Will this remove my OS as well. It says all partitions will be deleted. We didn't get a Windows 7 disk with this computer. It was already installed on the machine. I did click the check hard drive option, says a report will be sent on the reboot. Not sure that will apply now. Will send the report if I get one.

more_horiz
I am restoring to factory default. Will this remove my OS as well. It says all partitions will be deleted. We didn't get a Windows 7 disk with this computer. It was already installed on the machine. I did click the check hard drive option, says a report will be sent on the reboot. Not sure that will apply now. Will send the report if I get one..

Restoring to factory default will restore your computer to the day you purchased it but it should not delete your recovery console on the separate partition. That's is you only copy of Windows 7. Do you have any option to make Recovery Disks?

more_horiz
Okay.  Looks as if I have a three old, brand new machine on my hands, here. Bow or Thanks Even got a trial version of Office Starter 2010, which was bundeld with add ware.  But I uninstalled it and all the Norton stuff.  Also have 153 Windows Updates wanting to install.  I said NO, at least for now.  So I guess I'm bare bones here, no protection.  I'd at least like to install KM Player, but don't trust the sites without protection.

So, Mr. Dave.  or we done, or do I still need to run those Hard Drive scans?  Machine seem to be running well.  Will run the updates when we are finished or when I go to bed, which ever comes first.

more_horiz
First of all, install your AV. You can choose one from the list below. Next, get all your updates because some of them may be very important. Good Luck. I, personally, like MSE and Comodo but I have MSE on all my other computers (5). I use Comodo on my XP machine because of the fact that it is no longer supported by MS.

Remember to only install one antivirus!

1) Avast! Home Edition
2) AVG Free Edition
3) Avira AntiVir Personal
4) MicroSoft Security Essentials  All versions and all languages.
5) Comodo Antivirus (Uncheck during installation "Install Comodo SafeSurf..", Make Comodo my default search provider" and "Make Comodo Search my homepage" if you choose this one)

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum