WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Initial tasks take too long to run, after booting.

2 posters

descriptionInitial tasks take too long to run, after booting. - Page 3 EmptyRe: Initial tasks take too long to run, after booting.

more_horiz
I have failed to find an OS disk, I'm afraid. My PC was a dell , and had the motherboard replaced to be a Compaq. However, the shop that did it is unable to provide a suitable disk. I do have the original DELL Drivers and Utilities " CD.
What next?

descriptionInitial tasks take too long to run, after booting. - Page 3 EmptyRe: Initial tasks take too long to run, after booting.

more_horiz
You may be able to download it from here.

more_horiz
That link was useful, in that I used Belarc to give me a list of the system & hardware that is installed. This includes a Product Key, which I was advised that I would need.
However, I am not clear what type of disk to download, - I have always had difficulty creating CD discs. Also are you advising me to purchase one in order to investigate my system problem?
I would prefer another route if that is possible. (I could ask a friend for advise if necessary).

more_horiz
Also are you advising me to purchase one in order to investigate my system problem?
I would prefer another route if that is possible. (I could ask a friend for advise if necessary)..

No, don't spend any money on XP. If you're going to purchase another OS you should really consider Windows 7 if your computer can handle it.

more_horiz
I have some packages which wont run on Windows 7 ; so I am not ready to upgrade.

more_horiz
demoncurrie wrote:
I have some packages which wont run on Windows 7 ; so I am not ready to upgrade.

I have been told that Windows 7 can run in XP mode.

more_horiz
Hi again. I have just about given up on resolving this behaviour. (NB By chance I was talking to a workmate, and she, too had this problem - but lived with it!). However, I think my system is now working correctly.
The system stopped running Chrome, and Adobe Flash Player didn't appear to upgrade properly. So I uninstalled both of them and re-loaded them. My system now re-boots normally! Perhaps coincidence. But I pass the info onto you since it might help you build up a picture. You can therefore close this entry. And I hope not to have to open a replacement plea for help! Thanks.

more_horiz
Ok, let's do some clean up and we'll be finished.

This step will remove all cleaning tools we used, it'll reset restore points (so you won't get reinfected by accidentally using some older restore point) and it'll make some other minor adjustments...
This is a very crucial step so make sure you don't skip it.
Download DelFix by Xplode to your desktop. Delfix will delete all the used tools and logfiles.

Double-click Delfix.exe to start the tool.
Make sure the following items are checked:

• Activate UAC (optional; some users prefer to keep it off)
  • Remove disinfection tools
  • Create Registry backup
  • Purge System Restore Points
  • Re-set system settings

Now click "Run" and wait patiently.
Once finished a logfile will be created. You don't have to attach it to your next reply.
Click Start> Computer> right click the C Drive and choose Properties> enter
Click Disk Cleanup from there.

Initial tasks take too long to run, after booting. - Page 3 Diskcleanup2

Click OK on the Disk Cleanup Screen.
Click Yes on the Confirmation screen.

Initial tasks take too long to run, after booting. - Page 3 Diskcleanup

This runs the Disk Cleanup utility along with other selections if you have chosen any. (if you had a lot System Restore points, you will see a significant change in the free space in C drive)
Go to Microsoft Windows Update and get all critical updates.
----------

I suggest using WOT - Web of Trust. WOT is a free Internet security addon for your browser. It will keep you safe from online scams, identity theft, spyware, spam, viruses and unreliable shopping sites. WOT warns you before you interact with a risky website. It's easy and it's free.

Check out Keeping Yourself Safe On The Web for tips and free tools to help keep you safe in the future.

Also see Slow Computer? It may not be Malware for free cleaning/maintenance tools to help keep your computer running smoothly.
Safe Surfing!

more_horiz
OK thats them done thanks.

more_horiz
You're welcome. I will lock this thread. If you need it re-opened, please send me a pm.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum