WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Internet Browsers unresponsive or acting up

2 posters

descriptionInternet Browsers unresponsive or acting up - Page 2 EmptyRe: Internet Browsers unresponsive or acting up

more_horiz
No changes. Since IE was unresponsive I was unable to access "Internet Options" through IE. I had to search internet options through the start menu and open from there. I deleted all the trusted sites and set the trusted sites security to high. Still no changes to IE

descriptionInternet Browsers unresponsive or acting up - Page 2 EmptyRe: Internet Browsers unresponsive or acting up

more_horiz
Could you check to see if you still have this program on your computer? If you find it, could you please uninstall it?
Program Files\HDvid Codec V6.0

more_horiz
There is no evidence that HDVid is on the computer. The folder is not listed. I have also searched for HDVid and searched hidden files and folders. I have noticed that the annoying ad links are no longer showing in chrome.

more_horiz
Ok, please run MBAM again and see if it comes up clean.

more_horiz
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2014.02.11.07

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16476
Mark :: MARK-PC [administrator]

2/11/2014 12:16:04 PM
mbam-log-2014-02-11 (12-16-04).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 597826
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 3 minute(s), 30 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\HDvid Codec V6.0 (PUP.Optional.HDVidCndec.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

more_horiz
Still no response. Check out the screenshot. There is some weird frame in the browser (lower grey section).

more_horiz
What browser is that? What happens with the other browsers?

more_horiz
That is Internet Explorer (I blacked out my favorites). Chrome and Mozilla seem to be working fine.

more_horiz
Download the Fix IE Utility to your desktop.

Before running the utility, make sure that all your Internet Explorer windows are closed!

* Extract the contents of the .zip file to your desktop.
* Double click the Fix IE Utility button to run the tool.
* Click Run Utility
* Click OK when you see 'Re-registered all files'
* Open Internet Explorer and see how it works.

more_horiz
No joy. still unresponsive. The frame bar is no longer there, so that is progress. This is a bugger I just don't understand.

more_horiz
I'm stumped. I'll check with a colleague and get back to you.

more_horiz
I am considering packing it in and cleaning off the computer and reinstalling windows. It's been 4-5 years on this computer and it may be a good time to refresh the system. I have done this many times before on other computers but forget something every time. Do you have any tips or advise when doing this?

Thanks

more_horiz
I am considering packing it in and cleaning off the computer and reinstalling windows. It's been 4-5 years on this computer and it may be a good time to refresh the system. I have done this many times before on other computers but forget something every time. Do you have any tips or advise when doing this?

That's a good idea. Save your important data to an external harddrive or DVD's. Also, make a note of the programs you have installed so they can be re-installed and re-format and reinstall the OS.You could try doing a Repair first. That may just do the trick.

To wipe the drive clean, re-format and reinstall the OS.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum