GeekPolice Tech TutorialsLog in

Possible Malware - but cannot run exehelper, etc.

descriptionRe: Possible Malware - but cannot run exehelper, etc.

more_horiz
If I return it to factory settings, is that the same as reformatting? I just don't understand what to do since I didn't have the same prompts as the instructions:
Formatting partition and doing the reinstall

Note: This will totally wipe your OS parition and re-install a fresh copy of Windows.

"Continue with setup, and continue through the license agreement.
When dealing with the partition: you will need to install a fresh copy. Do not perform a repair or upgrade.
When formatting the partition, use the following option "Format the partition using the NTFS file system."
Allow it to format. Once done, OS setup will begin.
Going through setup, select keyboard and language options. Enter your product key. And allow the install to finish."

I am sorry that I am not catching it quickly ):

more_horiz
Note: This will totally wipe your OS parition and re-install a fresh copy of Windows.

Yes, that's the same as re-formatting. Any important documents, photos, videos and music you have on the computer will be gone. If you need to save any such information, now's the time to do it. Also make sure you have your product key before starting.

more_horiz
I was able to reformat the laptop successfully! The only concern I have is whether to put the backup back on the computer? Should I restore the files?

more_horiz
lachatnoir wrote:
I was able to reformat the laptop successfully! The only concern I have is whether to put the backup back on the computer? Should I restore the files?

Scan them with your AV and MBAM before putting them back on the laptop.

more_horiz
Thank you! I scanned everything and all is working well. I appreciate your help!!!

more_horiz
lachatnoir wrote:
Thank you! I scanned everything and all is working well. I appreciate your help!!!

You're welcome. It was nice working with you. Have a great year.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum