WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Second opinion before backing up computer

2 posters

descriptionSecond opinion before backing up computer - Page 3 EmptyRe: Second opinion before backing up computer

more_horiz
Thank you for the information.  I am abandoning Windows easy transfer as it keeps giving the same error in the screen shots previously posted in this thread.

I tried my external USB dvd burner and this computer says its not accessible.  I uninstalled it in device manager and rebooted the computer with the drive still hooked up through the usb port.  The computer still says D:/ is not accessible which is the external dvd burner.  The dvd burner is a memorex model number mrx-550LE v1

Thank you for any advice.

descriptionSecond opinion before backing up computer - Page 3 EmptyRe: Second opinion before backing up computer

more_horiz
If this is a desktop pc try disconnecting and re-connecting the power supply.

more_horiz
Its a dell latitude d610. Could the drive letters be causinng the issue? The cd rom drive installed in the computer is labled e:/ and the dvd burner is labled d:/.

Thank you for any advice

more_horiz
novice1 wrote:
Its a dell latitude d610.  Could the drive letters be causinng the issue?  The cd rom drive installed in the computer is labled e:/ and the dvd burner is labled d:/.  

Thank you for any advice
Do you actually have a CD rom drive and a DVD drive?

more_horiz
The latitude has a DVD-ROM/CDRW drive installed.  The memorex dvd recorder is an external drive attached via usb.  

System information about drives:
Drive D:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name Memorex DVD+-RAM 550L v1 USB Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID Not Available
PNP Device ID USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_MEMOREX&PROD_DVD+-RAM_550L_V1&REV_ZM61\00101016405074395&0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108), 61.50 KB (62,976 bytes), 11/29/2011 11:14 AM)

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_RW/DVD_GCC-4243N_______________A102____\5&340B0CCF&0&0.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108), 61.50 KB (62,976 bytes), 11/29/2011 11:14 AM)

more_horiz
Please try disconnecting your external burner.

more_horiz
I disconnected the dvd burner and reconected it.  When clicking on the drive under windows explorer, it says drive is not accessible.

I downloaded CDBurnerXP from cdburnerxp.se and it burned to the not accessible drive.  It spanned his 'my documents' folder to five disks.  I was hoping to be able to backup the computer to less disks as they will more then be misplaced over the lifetime of the computer.

more_horiz
Once you re-format and re-install the OS you can put your data back on the computer.

more_horiz
Thank you for the advice and quick replies.  

Could I get a second opinion on clean install of windows xp professional?  I have only one cd that dell provided labeled Operating System Reinstallation CD Microsoft XP Professional Service Pack 3.  Will I need another cd readable during installation with drivers from dell?  If so, does it need to be burned a certain way?  That is ISO or just driver files uncompressed.

Thank you again

Attached is screen shot of the cd contents

System: Dell Latitude D610

Second opinion before backing up computer - Page 3 Untitl12

more_horiz
Will I need another cd readable during installation with drivers from dell? If so, does it need to be burned a certain way? That is ISO or just driver files uncompressed.

You should be good to go with that CD. Come back after the re-install and tell me how the computer is working.

more_horiz
Superdave wrote:
You should be good to go with that CD. Come back after the re-install and tell me how the computer is working.

By CD are you referring to the Dell OS reinstallation disc?

I do see in the preparation instructions, ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_latitude_laptop/latitude-d610_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf , from dell it refers to a Dell Drivers and Utilities CD.  
Do you I need the Dell Drivers and Utilities CD to install windows xp professional?  If yes, then is there a method to create one from the driver files in the zip, cab, and exe format?  

Thank you for any advice and the help given at this point.

more_horiz
By CD are you referring to the Dell OS reinstallation disc?

Yes.
Do you I need the Dell Drivers and Utilities CD to install windows xp professional?

No, all you need is the OS disk.
I do see in the preparation instructions from dell it refers to a Dell Drivers and Utilities CD.

That's probably only for the additional stuff they add on. In my opinion, it's mostly stuff that you'll never use and just takes up room on your computer.

more_horiz
Thank you Superdave for the responses and information.

I am currently confused on one of the Windows setup steps. I printed out the dell manual install instructions and the install instructions from the OS reinstall disk.

After accepting the license agreement it asks me if I want to delete partition. It displays only the main hard disk drive. Do i delete the contents of the hard disk drive?

more_horiz
After accepting the license agreement it asks me if I want to delete partition. It displays only the main hard disk drive. Do i delete the contents of the hard disk drive?

You can delete the partition and the re-installation will delete the contents of the hard drive. You can re-establish the partitions with Partition Wizard.

more_horiz
Thank you for the freeware. I will attempt the reinstall tonight. I hope to have this computer back to my friend by Wednesday.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum