WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Second opinion before backing up computer

2 posters

descriptionSecond opinion before backing up computer - Page 2 EmptyRe: Second opinion before backing up computer

more_horiz
I am attempting to restore this computer back to factory defaults.  That is using the dell image partition.  I tried to pressing f11 for the dell recovery tool, but it didn't work and thought it might be due to infections on the computer.

Is there another method to back up all user data then the built in windows backup?

Here is the eset scan results:

C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Tarma Installer\{361E80BE-388B-4270-BF54-A10C2B756504}\_Setupx.dll.vir a variant of Win32/Adware.Yontoo.B application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Tarma Installer\{889DF117-14D1-44EE-9F31-C5FB5D47F68B}\_Setupx.dll.vir a variant of Win32/Adware.Yontoo.B application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Tarma Installer\{DE3B7BF9-0770-4104-BC0B-B1CCCCE2F053}\_Setupx.dll.vir a variant of Win32/Adware.Yontoo.B application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Documents and Settings\Allen\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\8w7yixrd.default\Extensions\plugin@yontoo.com\content\overlay.js.vir Win32/Adware.Yontoo application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Documents and Settings\Allen\Local Settings\Application Data\getsavin\ie\getsavin_1362721801.dll.vir a variant of Win32/Adware.CouponAmazing.A application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files\Yontoo\YontooIEClient.dll.vir a variant of Win32/Adware.Yontoo.A application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files\Yontoo\YontooLayers.crx.vir multiple threats deleted - quarantined

descriptionSecond opinion before backing up computer - Page 2 EmptyRe: Second opinion before backing up computer

more_horiz
I tried to pressing f11 for the dell recovery tool, but it didn't work and thought it might be due to infections on the computer.
I doubt that there is a Recovery Console on your computer. You can save your important files to an external drive or DVD's then you can use your XP disk to do a re-install of the OS.

more_horiz
Thank you. I am currently using windows easy transfer to backup the computer. I ordered an xp cd from dell. Is there a topic on how to create repair disks for a dell 610?

more_horiz
I am currently using windows easy transfer to backup the computer. I ordered an xp cd from dell. Is there a topic on how to create repair disks for a dell 610? .
[COLOR=green]Just remember, when you re-format and re-install the OS everything will wiped from the hard drive. You can find more information about repair disks
here.

more_horiz
Thank you for the information about re-formatting and all the help in removing any infections from my friends computer.  

I am currently getting popups from freepricealerts.  Attached to this reply is a pic of addlyrics still installed which was detected as adware by adwcleaner

Second opinion before backing up computer - Page 2 Untitl11

more_horiz
If you're going to re-format all that will be gone.

more_horiz
That is correct the infections would be removed upon reformatting the hard drive.

I am having issues with backing up the computer, with Windows Easy Transfer.  It will not burn using an external dvd burner.  

An error occurred while the wizard was saving your data.
The location you specified for saving your files and settings is not accessible. Check your access rights, and make sure you have enough disk space available.
The wizard could not save some of your files and folders.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SoftGrid Client\AppFS Storage\140062.ENU-90140011-62-409\UsrVol_sftfs_v1.tmp
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SoftGrid Client\AppFS Storage\140062.ENU-90140011-62-409\GlblVol_sftfs_v1_S-1-5-21-854245398-2077806209-1417001333-1004.tmp
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SoftGrid Client\AppFS Storage\140062.ENU-90140011-62-409\GlblVol_sftfs_v1_S-1-5-20.tmp
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SoftGrid Client\sftfs.fsG
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SoftGrid Client\sftfs.fsd
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SoftGrid Client\AppFS Storage\140062.ENU-90140011-62-409\UsrVol_sftfs_v1.tmp
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SoftGrid Client\AppFS Storage\140062.ENU-90140011-62-409\GlblVol_sftfs_v1_S-1-5-21-854245398-2077806209-1417001333-1004.tmp
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SoftGrid Client\AppFS Storage\140062.ENU-90140011-62-409\GlblVol_sftfs_v1_S-1-5-20.tmp
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SoftGrid Client\sftfs.fsG
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SoftGrid Client\sftfs.fsd
To close this wizard, click Finish.

Second opinion before backing up computer - Page 2 Transf10

more_horiz
What exactly are you trying to backup before you re-format?

more_horiz
All user data.

more_horiz
If you can't get the Wizard to work then you will have to save your data such as important documents, videos, pictures and music to an external hard drive, large thumb drives or DVD's . You can even save your internet settings and favourite sites.

more_horiz
Thank you for the information.  I am abandoning Windows easy transfer as it keeps giving the same error in the screen shots previously posted in this thread.

I tried my external USB dvd burner and this computer says its not accessible.  I uninstalled it in device manager and rebooted the computer with the drive still hooked up through the usb port.  The computer still says D:/ is not accessible which is the external dvd burner.  The dvd burner is a memorex model number mrx-550LE v1

Thank you for any advice.

more_horiz
If this is a desktop pc try disconnecting and re-connecting the power supply.

more_horiz
Its a dell latitude d610. Could the drive letters be causinng the issue? The cd rom drive installed in the computer is labled e:/ and the dvd burner is labled d:/.

Thank you for any advice

more_horiz
novice1 wrote:
Its a dell latitude d610.  Could the drive letters be causinng the issue?  The cd rom drive installed in the computer is labled e:/ and the dvd burner is labled d:/.  

Thank you for any advice
Do you actually have a CD rom drive and a DVD drive?

more_horiz
The latitude has a DVD-ROM/CDRW drive installed.  The memorex dvd recorder is an external drive attached via usb.  

System information about drives:
Drive D:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name Memorex DVD+-RAM 550L v1 USB Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID Not Available
PNP Device ID USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_MEMOREX&PROD_DVD+-RAM_550L_V1&REV_ZM61\00101016405074395&0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108), 61.50 KB (62,976 bytes), 11/29/2011 11:14 AM)

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_RW/DVD_GCC-4243N_______________A102____\5&340B0CCF&0&0.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108), 61.50 KB (62,976 bytes), 11/29/2011 11:14 AM)

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum