WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSeveral problems with a "new" computer EmptySeveral problems with a "new" computer

more_horiz
Hi!

I have been given a computer, which has been 'cleaned up' by the previous owner (uninstalling some programs and deleting his saved files and documents).

It works mostly very well - a lot faster than my original one. :smile2: 

It is a Fujitsu using Windows XP Home 2002 (Service Pack 3).

However, a few bugs.

1. When I go to open any folder, "Smartweb Printing" tries to install, but fails.
If I cancel the installation three times, the folder opens and everything goes OK.

2. The computer used to be connected to an HP printer. The printer driver and files have been uninstalled, but it left a folder on the desktop called "HP" which contains another folder called "bin" which contains one file "hpocxi08.dll". No idea what this is for, or if I should delete it.

3. Every three or four days, when I come back to the computer in the morning, there is a message that it has recovered from a serious error and re-started.

I guess some links are still there leading no-where, and possibly some files still there that shouldn't be, and some needed ones are missing!

I don't want to use a generic "registry cleaner, in case I remove anything that's needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Indifferent or Blank 

descriptionSeveral problems with a "new" computer EmptyRe: Several problems with a "new" computer

more_horiz
bump (please!)

descriptionSeveral problems with a "new" computer EmptyRe: Several problems with a "new" computer

more_horiz

HELP! Any bright ideas?

more_horiz
You can disable some startup entries using msconfig. It's not the preferred method, but it works.

Click on Start which is usually in the bottom left corner.
Click on RUN.
In the box that comes up, type in msconfig and then tap the Enter key or click on OK.

msconfig will start up. Look to the Startup tab. Uncheck anything that you don't want to start. I would recommend not disabling any antivirus or malware protection items.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum