WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Browser Malware/hypertext virus/slow Comp/unable to update

2 posters

descriptionBrowser Malware/hypertext virus/slow Comp/unable to update - Page 2 EmptyRe: Browser Malware/hypertext virus/slow Comp/unable to update

more_horiz
K great. I did the above, but a new issues have come up. Now i have no sound in my browser, programs like media player, games, winamp, itunes and other programs refuse to open. Additionally, whenever i try to use system restore, it says that an error has occurred and just shuts down. All of this started after I did the combofix /uninstall.
i have attempted to use the system restore feature by restarting my computer and pressing F8. i got the the system restore option and picked both of the only options. But it tells me Corrupt file, cannot restore.

descriptionBrowser Malware/hypertext virus/slow Comp/unable to update - Page 2 EmptyRe: Browser Malware/hypertext virus/slow Comp/unable to update

more_horiz
Please download and run MSFix-It and click on Windows Media Player to see if it will fix the sound problem.

more_horiz
I did as instructed except, when running the tool it gives me an error. Says,"We're sorry, but he program has encountered an error trying to contact the server. Please try again later. Code [80040154]" I know my internet connection is working since i can still browse the web. In addition to this I have also now noticed i am unable to copy and paste anything and nothing has sound. I can hear the startup sounds, the pings for errors and completes, but no program/game has sound. I have opened my sound mixer and checked there but there was nothing wrong with it. i check the bars to see if they light up when something is playing but they do not.

more_horiz
Please check your Device Manager to see if there are any yellow warning icons.
Please run this even if you don't have the OS disk and tell me what happens.

Do you have your OS CD/DVD?

If so,

1/ Click the Start button.

2/ From the Start Menu, Click All programs followed by Accessories.

3/ In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option.

4/ From the drop down menu that appears, Click on the Run as administrator option.

5/ If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled you will be asked for authorisation prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.

6/ In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press Enter.

7/ A message will appear stating that the system scan will begin.

8/ Be patient because the scan may take some time.

9/ If any files require replacing SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Vista DVD for this process to continue.

10/ If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations.

11/ After the scan has completed, Close the command prompt window.

more_horiz
There are no yellow warning icons when i went to the device manager. After running the command prompt it said, "Verrification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

more_horiz
Ok, we need to repair those corrupt files by running the Recovery Console.

Run the Vista Recovery Console.

1. Eject and remove any discs or memory cards from your computer.

2. Click the "Start" button on the desktop to open the Start menu, click the small arrow icon to the right of the lock icon and select "Restart".

3. Hold the "F8" key on your computer's keyboard as Windows Vista reboots.

4. Highlight and select "Repair your computer" choose your keyboard type and click "Next".

5. Choose your user name, type your password if prompted and click "OK" to access the System Recovery Options menu.

more_horiz
First, before we continue I would like to thank you for the continued assistance. Now back to the issue at hand. I have done the repair computer thing and system repair, system recovery. the system repair says everything is fine. the system restore only has 1 date and that was today at around 12pm. so that wont work and the problem persists. I eagerly wait your response. =D

more_horiz
And you still have the problems?

more_horiz
yes. I am unable to open programs like media player, winamp, games, etc... Unable to play music or videos. I am also not getting sound in any of those or my browser, cannot use copy paste on anything, notepad, word etc.... I have tried going to the microsoft website to download media player and my computer will not validate anymore. I believe this all happened when i did the combofix uninstall because right before that, with your help, my computer was running perfectly. Then i removed the combofixed as instructed and everything went wrong.

more_horiz
Then i removed the combofixed as instructed and everything went wrong..

This is the first time I've seen this happen. Please try this:

Please download and run the below tool named Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) which may help allow other programs to run.
Save Rkill to your desktop.

There are 7 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.

Vista and Win7 users need to right click Rkill and choose Run as Administrator

You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.

* Rkill.exe
* Rkill.com
* Rkill.scr
* WiNlOgOn.exe
* uSeRiNiT.exe
* iExplore.exe
* eXplorer.exe
Once you've gotten one of them to run then try to immediately run the following.

more_horiz
i ran rkill and this is what it gave me in the log. i immediately tried to run a music file. it did not work.

Rkill 2.4.8 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Copyright 2008-2013 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 05/14/2013 03:36:13 PM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Service Pack 1

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* No issues found.

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* msiserver => %systemroot%\system32\msiexec.exe /V [Incorrect ImagePath]

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* HOSTS file entries found:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Program finished at: 05/14/2013 03:36:23 PM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 0 minute(s), and 9 seconds(s)

more_horiz
I'm stumped. I'm going to get one of my colleagues to look at this.

more_horiz
K sounds great. i eagerly await your response.

more_horiz
At this point it's looking pretty much like you may have to do a compete Recovery of you system. You should start saving your important data to an external harddrive or DVD's.

more_horiz
Ok. We're going to try a few things. First of all, create a new account for yourself and see if anything works. Please let me know how this works out.
Here's how to create a new account.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum