WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWindows Media Player Not Working EmptyWindows Media Player Not Working

more_horiz
I realize that typically, you should have a less vague title than that, but I honestly don't know what to put there other than "It isn't working". I'm using Windows 7, and apparently that means my copy of Windows Media Player is Windows Media Player 12. Whenever I open a video, it'll open and begin playing the video, but the time bar at the bottom won't appear. I also can't click the minimize, restore, or exit buttons. I can't click the pause, fast forward or rewind buttons either. That's what happens if the video DOES open. Oftentimes, videos or audio files won't open at all, and will instead load permanently. When I open task manager, there's nothing under applications. When I switch over to processes, wmplayer.exe is there. If I clixk "End Process", it will bring up the "Are you sure you want to end wmplayer.exe 32" screen, and when I hit "Yes", it disappears. And that's it. Nothing happens after that. wmplayer.exe doesn't disappear from the list of processes, it doesn't stop loading. Nothing happens. The problem is seemingly worse with just audio files. It'll typically open, then play through the file (with the time bar appearing but being frozen in place a couple seconds through). After that, it'll replay the file again, then go silent, and I won't be able to click anything on the player. If I right click the taskbar icon for it and select "Close window", it'll just select the player again, and nothing will happen. I also get all the same problems ending the process. If the program does open and I can select it from applications, I and end it there, though it takes a long time for Windows to determine Windows Media Player is unresponsive and end it. Letting it check for solutions does nothing. When I select Windows Media Player from a menu or my taskbar (as opposed to opening a video with it), it just does nothing, permanently. It doesn't show up in applications, but does show up, again un-endable, in processes. The only way to stop the permanent loading once it starts is to restart my computer.

I had thought I could maybe just uninstall it and then reinstall it, and it would be fixed, but when I went to the Windows site, it seemed to indicate that Windows Media Player comes with Windows 7, and that that was the only way to get it (by buying a new copy of Windows 7). Also, like all good products, Windows' help site for Windows Media Player features a measly six questions under troubleshooting, none of them helpful. So basically, I can't watch any video files, or listen to any audio files. I can't open Windows Media Player to try to check for updates. I can't end it once it starts loading. I don't know if I can uninstall and reinstall it. Anyone know how to remedy this? I have something I need to do that involves video and audio files, and this is making it literally impossible.

descriptionWindows Media Player Not Working EmptyRe: Windows Media Player Not Working

more_horiz
Hello! I will be assisting you here. Hope I can help. It's best to start with the System File Checker utility...let's see how this does...

To Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 7
1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. To Scan and Repair System Files
NOTE: Scans the integrity of all protected system files and repairs the system files if needed.
A) In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: This may take some time to finish.

Windows Media Player Not Working 2327d1231529432t-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker-command-1

B) Go to step 4.

3. To Only Verify if the System Files are Corrupted
NOTE: Scans and only verifies the integrity of all proteced system files only.
A) In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /verifyonly and press Enter.

4. When the scan is complete, hopefully you will see all is ok like the screenshot below.
NOTE: If not, then you can attempt to run a System Restore using a restore point dated before the bad file occured to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a System Restore until you find a older restore point that may work.

Windows Media Player Not Working 2328d1231529438t-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker-finished

5. When done, close the elevated command prompt.

Let me know the results and if it has helped... we have more options.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum