WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionDrive letters changed after Restore EmptyDrive letters changed after Restore

more_horiz
Hello!

I recently had to use the Restore DVD for my eMachines EL-1200-05w running Windows XP because of a particularly nasty virus that had made the machine all but unusable.

After the restore, I'm back up and running...BUT...my C: drive is now only 9.75 GB, my D: drive is 69.3 GB & my E: drive is 69.9 GB. The strange thing is that I had only C: and D: drives prior to the restore. I'm assuming the C: is now my recovery partition (and is actually part of what the computer's now calling the D: drive, which used to be the C: drive. I noticed some...but nowhere near all...of the contents of the "old" C: drive still exist on the D: drive, which surprised me...I thought the Restore would get rid of everything). It also changed the designation of my old D: drive to what is now my "new" E: drive, the contents of which were untouched by the Restore.

Here's the problem I'm running into. A "running out of disk space" warning about my C: drive because it had dipped below 200 MB free. Once I ran the Restore DVD and got the computer running again, I installed AVG antivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy & Google Earth, in that order. Everything automatically intalls to the C: drive, which quickly ran out of space. I removed anything that I'd downloaded except for AVG, and now have 503 MB free. I no longer get the warning, but how do I avoid running into the same thing again when I want to re-instal Google Earth, Adobe Audition, etc.,etc.? Can I manually force everything to install to the D: or E: drives? Won't Windows updates eventually fill my C: drive if I only have 503 MB free? Is there a way to increase its size if it's actually part of the D: drive? Sorry, I'm lost. Thanks in advance for any help.

descriptionDrive letters changed after Restore EmptyRe: Drive letters changed after Restore

more_horiz
*Deleted this follow-up comment*

descriptionDrive letters changed after Restore EmptyRe: Drive letters changed after Restore

more_horiz
@Johnspaul .... i really cant get what you saying buh i can get this "Can I manually force everything to install to the D: or E: drives? "

... Yes you can force every software you install to store it's files on the D or E drive ....Cause every time you installing a software ,it reach a stage which asks you to select the drive or folder you want it to load it files to....thats all

more_horiz
Hi John...

Do you still need assistance? Please follow up...

more_horiz
kweku Emma wrote:
@Johnspaul .... i really cant get what you saying buh i can get this "Can I manually force everything to install to the D: or E: drives? "

... Yes you can force every software you install to store it's files on the D or E drive ....Cause every time you installing a software ,it reach a stage which asks you to select the drive or folder you want it to load it files to....thats all

The problem was that I wanted to increase the size of the C: partition, but the issue with Windows updates remained. The very next batch of updates I received caused me to dip below the 200 mb limit again, and the error appeared again. No longer an issue (see below)

more_horiz
DragonMaster Jay wrote:
Hi John...

Do you still need assistance? Please follow up...

Thank you DragonMaster Jay and kweku Emma for the replies. No, I no longer require assistance. I did a complete format and reinstall of Windows....no more problems (and no more partitions...just one big C: drive that works as well as the first day out of the box).

more_horiz
Thanks for updating us!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum