WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Browser hijacked - need hijack this and help

2 posters

descriptionBrowser hijacked - need hijack this and help - Page 3 EmptyRe: Browser hijacked - need hijack this and help

more_horiz
Dave
Thanks for the comprehensive instructions. I am having trouble with the first one.. i type "Combofix /Uninstall" and i get this message:
"Windows cannot find combofix, etc. etc." i moved the "exe" file from the4 desktop to a folder on the desktop after running, and then back again.
Help?

descriptionBrowser hijacked - need hijack this and help - Page 3 EmptyRe: Browser hijacked - need hijack this and help

more_horiz
moreyag wrote:
Dave
Thanks for the comprehensive instructions. I am having trouble with the first one.. i type "Combofix /Uninstall" and i get this message:
"Windows cannot find combofix, etc. etc." i moved the "exe" file from the4 desktop to a folder on the desktop after running, and then back again.
Help?

Ok. Just check your C drive to see if you can find a folder named ComboFix there. Perhaps it was removed.

more_horiz
Dave
Thanks once again
I did a complete C:\ drive search afor ComboFix and all it found were some text files in a folder "Qoobox" and the log file in the root directory
...can i delete the Qoobox folder? System Restore appears to be running OK, there are a number of restore points listed and drive C:\ is listed as "Monitoring".
Also, tried to run TFC and it just keeps hanging on startup. Shut down all AV & Malwarebytes, tried running it, just hangs and i see the "Not Responding" message. I never set up my system wth an admin so i can't log in as administrator.
Not having much luck so far
Sad tearing
However on the up side, the pc APPEARS to be running ok?

Regards
Morey

more_horiz
can i delete the Qoobox folder? System Restore appears to be running OK, there are a number of restore points listed and drive C:\ is listed as "Monitoring".
Also, tried to run TFC and it just keeps hanging on startup.

Yes, you can delete the Qoobox. We should set a new, clean Restore Point. I'm not sure about the "Monitoring" message
To turn off Windows XP System Restore:

NOTE: These instructions assume that you are using the default Windows XP Start Menu and have not changed to the Classic Start menu. To re-enable the default menu, right-click Start, click Properties, click Start menu (not Classic) and then click OK.

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives"
5. Click Apply.
6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
7. Click OK.
8. Restart the computer and follow the instructions in the next section to turn on System Restore.

To turn on Windows XP System Restore:

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Uncheck "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives."
5. Click Apply, and then click OK.

more_horiz
Dave
Thanks for all your help and guidance.
I turned off / on System restore, cleaned as much as i could manually, and ran defrag for good measure.
The system appears to be fine now, still a bit disappointed i couldn't get Temp File Cleaner to work.
As you suggested, i will load up a personal firewall i used to use ZoneAlarm a long time ago, but stopped thinking i was safe behind a router.
Oh, one more thing - the "Qoobox" fiolder will not let me deleted it in safe mode or otherwise?
Thanks again
Morey

more_horiz
but stopped thinking i was safe behind a router.
Oh, one more thing - the "Qoobox" fiolder will not let me deleted it in safe mode or otherwise?

Some routers have a firewall and some do not. You can download and install UnLocker. You should be able to delete that folder with it.

You can download and install Unlocker .

more_horiz
Thanks once again. Followed your advice, got rid of Qoobox, and the text files in the root directory and everything seems to be running well.
Best regards,
Morey

more_horiz
You're welcome. Good Luck.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum