WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionUnable to burn recovery discs for an Acer Aspire AS 3810TZ EmptyUnable to burn recovery discs for an Acer Aspire AS 3810TZ

more_horiz
I am unable to burn a recovery disc set for my Acer Aspire AS3810TZ laptop. The computer-held software programme burnt the first (disc 1) successfully, but it failed to complete the three-DVD series, repeatedly failing to start the disc 2 burn sequence. It repeatedly asked for a fresh DVD , thus wasting discs which cannot then be re-formatted.

I discontinued the attempt and started from scratch. The programme then refused to work even for the First disc sequence which had previously worked. After wasting 7 DVD blanks, I gave up.

I am at loss and could do with constructive assistance. Does Acer have a non-premium phone number in UK which I can use to ask for a recovery disc set with Windows 7 thereon, to be sent to me?

Ralph
(80 and faltering at the high end of computer technology)

descriptionUnable to burn recovery discs for an Acer Aspire AS 3810TZ EmptyRe: Unable to burn recovery discs for an Acer Aspire AS 3810TZ

more_horiz
I found this contact us link for ACER UK.
If the first recovery disc has already burned the program will automatically pick up with disc 2 when opened again. This is how they are only letting one set of recovery discs be burned per computer.
Are you using the same type disc, sometimes this makes a difference.

Hope this helps!! Smile...

descriptionUnable to burn recovery discs for an Acer Aspire AS 3810TZ EmptyRe: Unable to burn recovery discs for an Acer Aspire AS 3810TZ

more_horiz
Many thanks houndmom,
I will give it a try and let you know if this old gopher can get past disc1, which was successfully burnt, on my first try. I tried to start again from scratch this evening, using a set of blanks from a same batch but I could not achieve another 'disc 1' successfully. It failed the 'check' twice again giving me different error codes each time and I am now with 9 useless blanks that might make great bird scarers or coffee-cup mats.

I will have another go later or maybe in the morning and promise to come back to you with the results.

Most grateful for your help Maam.
Ralph K

more_horiz
Okay good luck! I will help all I can. Big Grin

more_horiz
Good afternoon Houndmom,
Thank you for you for your kindly helpful posts.

Notwithstanding the use of disks from the same batch and a first disc successfully burnt the very first time I tried the session, further attempts at going past this first stage were unsuccessful. After the first disc burn, a request for another disc was made but the DVD writer refused the disc and the tray popped out, whilst the screen remained at ‘Disc1 please insert another disc’, or words to that effect, time after time.

After shutting-down and restarting, I could not even burn another disc 1. The result was a fail message after the burn-check sequence following the first part of each burn, when the first phase was completed.

I copied the last error code reported (OX9411) but did not do so for all the others I regret to say. I must do so in future ... Old gopher goof but he is still learning from such events!!.

The request for a new disc which was then constantly rejected, kept repeating and the screen continued to read ‘Disc 1 please insert new disk’ . Except that the discs continued to be rejected with no change to the screen message: ’Disc1’.

A letter to Acer at their Heathrow address you kindly pointed me to, may be the way ahead now; or a non-Acer replacement laptop considered unless I forgo Win 7 OS and load MS Vista Home Premium instead, to standardise the OS on my 3 computers next time I need to reformat the HDD on this Acer Aspire.

Thank you again Houndmom. Do not feel bad about this hiccup. I have learnt that all landings cannot be superb, in my ‘other’ life aloft. But the approaches MUST be perfect, as yours logical steps were.

One final question if I may. How do I get my mug-shot back on the profile page, having deleted it in error due to a geriatric finger-tip misacting?

With kind regards,
Ralph K.

more_horiz
okay let's do a little troubleshooting...
What type DVD media are you using? (for example: DVD-RW DVD+R etc.
I always get DVD-R for use in my computer)

It could be the brand of discs you are using (sometimes computers can be a little picky..)
for instance usually buy Sony, Memorex or TDK

Then check to see if:
1. you have the most up to date firmware for your burner.

2. Try burning at a lower speed to see if that helps.

One final question if I may. How do I get my mug-shot back on the profile page, having deleted it in error due to a geriatric finger-tip misacting?

No problem, I have finger trouble often sometimes myself... So if you see a misspelling don't laugh... Cheesy Grin (sparkly

1. At the top of the page, just under GeekPolice.net logo, click Unable to burn recovery discs for an Acer Aspire AS 3810TZ Profile-1
2. Then you will see a row of tabs, the tab you click is Avatar
3. Choose whether you want to use a picture from your computer, a url, or from our gallery.

Let me know if these help. Smile...

more_horiz
Houndmom,
You are full of good ideas, Maam.

I have always used CD & DVD-R discs.
In this case I used Memorex DVD-R discs for the first attempt then Verbatim DVD-R discs, both to no avail. The next step will be to try a slower burn.

My burner is a separate Philips SPD3000CC Double Layer Unit for 8cm and 12cm discs (burns at 16xDVD-R) inter alia; because this Acer Aspire notebook does not have a built-in CD/DVD Disk burner /player to keep it thin. Mistake ... I must never again buy a computer without DVD R/W like this one in future.

I will see if I can download any more up-to-date drivers for it. I guess that is what you mean by firmware. I will save anything I find in my Programmes folder on the laptop HDD.

I will work on the mugshot angle as well but, for the moment, I cannot seem to get a photo via the Avatar page to show in the profile. When I first joined the site initially, I was given the opportunity to take a series of photos using the laptop's camera, but those photos disappeared and I cannot find my way back to using the camera again to overcome the problem.

I will report on results ASAP. Meanwhile thanks again for your help to-day and 'bye for now until to-morrow, hopefully with some results.

Stay well
Ralph K

more_horiz
Good evening Houndmom,

Notwithstanding my downloading fresh firmware for the external Philips SPD 3000CC rewriter, I have hit a brick wall when it comes to making a 3 DVD set of Factory recovery discs for the Acer Aspire AS3810TZ notebook I am writing on.

After a first burn failure following the verification sequence, I succeeded in getting a correct Disc 1 and was asked for a fresh disc to burn Recovery 2, but despite 5 further attempts, I neither achieved a correct Disc 2 nor was I asked to proceed to a Recovery 3 phase. In every case the error code was 0 x 9411. In detail:
Data error (cycle redundancy check)
File name: D:\IMAGES\POP 0105 c0OXX 0CH CH180 – SWM Firmware version Y5 S6

Summing-up, I added another 7 VERBATIM discs to the coaster collection started two days ago. As you can imagine, frustration reigns supreme.

Where to now before I give-up and look to E-bay for a finished product, if not Acer.

Still not managed a successful mugshot transfer, though I found the Avatar page you mentioned, but I will have another go this evening.

Stay well and thanks for your help to date.

This site tends to refresh at times, losing what I enter. I had to rewirte in Word
for safety, then save, then copy to this post
Ralph K.

more_horiz
I have one of those curiosity questions...
Are you trying to play a game or surf the internet while trying to make your recovery discs??
I have noticed while trying to make my recovery discs, that if I try to surf, play a game, or even letting my display go to sleep my disc will say it could not be completed. Is this the case with you??

more_horiz
By the way, Awesome job on the Avatar picture!! Hooray!

more_horiz

Good questions Houndmom,

I may have allowed the computer to auto-blank the screen when I left it alone to get-on with it, during a burn sequence. If not that, did I also surf? Memory lets me down on both points. That is what comes with age I am afraid. So I will now start again, after switching my screen to full time and make sure I do not mess about on other tasks, in the next attempt at extracting the confounded recovery DVD set and will, of course, let you know of the result.

As for the avatar, I thought I should show a more formal tie-sporting image on the G/P site; so I used one of the 'About the Author' photos preferred by the publisher in the various publications I have put together for the RAeS and the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators, aimed at the younger element wannabes and others I have left behind in aviation. Maintaining Standards I guess, as against my more informal down-dressed roll-neck sweater garb, of my more normal daily shamble-along appearance, as used on the Facebook site.

Don't hold your breath. I am bound to goof again.
Stay well.
Ralph K.

P.S. I never play games on my computer as I might develop an inferiority complex because of always being beaten by the square-eyed monster.

more_horiz
Don't hold your breath. I am bound to goof again.

How do we learn if not to goof every so often. Lessons learned through those goofs last longer than if there would have been none... Cheesy Grin (sparkly

I will be waiting to hear if you are successful at burning a set of recovery discs!!
Good Luck!!!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum