WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionAdware Generic.OXX - A false threat?  EmptyAdware Generic.OXX - A false threat?

more_horiz
Hello there.

A while ago I downloaded a codec called "Storm Codec 5.12 RC3" to be able to view a certain movie clip which I wasn't able to view otherwise. It served it's purpose well, but AVG seems to recognize it as malware.

Although the codec only consists of one file, AVG shows these results as being "potentially dangerous objects" after performing a scan:
- Storm Codec 5.12 RC3.exe:\$JF\StormSet.exe:\$JJ\mms.exe:\$JF\Mmsass~1.dll
- Storm Codec 5.12 RC3.exe:\$JF\StormSet.exe:\$JJ\mms.exe
- Storm Codec 5.12 RC3.exe:\$JF\StormSet.exe
- Storm Codec 5.12 RC3.exe

The infection is defined as "Adware Generic.OXX" on all four of the files. Now then, even though AVG shows all of these files, the folder I keep the codec in only has "Storm Codec 5.12 RC3.exe". Where the other three came from, I've no idea. More to the point though: Are these file/s dangerous? Do they actually do any harm to my computer? Or does AVG simply have a hard time figuring out what they are, and categorize them as "potential threats" since they're unknown filetypes?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance Smile....

descriptionAdware Generic.OXX - A false threat?  EmptyRe: Adware Generic.OXX - A false threat?

more_horiz
Please visit this webpage for a tutorial on downloading and running ComboFix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

See the area: Using ComboFix, and when done, post the log back here.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum