WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Very slow computer, on and offline.

2 posters

descriptionVery slow computer, on and offline. - Page 3 EmptyRe: Very slow computer, on and offline.

more_horiz
Please follow this tutorial on using MEMTEST

http://www.pchelpforum.com/memory/113776-memtest86-how.html

Let me know how it works.

descriptionVery slow computer, on and offline. - Page 3 EmptyRe: Very slow computer, on and offline.

more_horiz
Hi
I'm struggling with this one. I can get into "boot menu" by pressing f12 on startup. if I select option 4 (IDE CD ROM Device) it appears to start as normal and the disc does not start. If I press f2 I go into the setup menu, I can scroll down to "boot setup" and press enter. This gives an option of "Hard drive C" and "IDE CD ROM Device" both are checked. If I uncheck Hard drive C and leave CD Rom checked and try to start it it gives a message "No boot device available".
I don't know where to go from here as I have never worked with these menus before.

I don't know if the age of the machine is relevant but we bought this computer 9 years ago, is it just getting old?

Dave

more_horiz
Can you try the USB version?

more_horiz
Hi

The options in the "boot menu" are as follows:

1.Normal
2.Primary Master Drive
3.Hard Disc Drive C
4.IDE CD-ROM Device

5.System Setup
6.IDE Drive Diagnostic
7.Boot to utility partition

Which of these would I use to boot from a USB stick or does this computer not have that option?
If it is possible let me know and I'll get a USB stick next time I'm in town.

Thank you

Dave

more_horiz
http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

more_horiz
Hi

Sorry to be away for so long. I've tried to follow these instructions but so much of it I don't understand!
I've found a temporary fix for the slow running problem. The computer has two lights, power on and "working". When it's slow the "working" light is on constantly. I checked the processes running and what they were using. By far the highest usage was by "wuauclt.exe". A bit of research showed this was the Windows Update process. The temporary fix is just to switch Updates off. Computer is now back to normal but I suspect I'll have to do manual updates every so often. Skype also uses a lot but I don't want to do without that and just stopping the updates seems to be enough.

Any thoughts?

Dave

more_horiz
Yeah...frequently that can happen with Windows Updates.

more_horiz
So there's no problem to fix then? I'll just continue with manual updates and leave the automatic switched off.

more_horiz
Great. Is there anything else I can help you solve?

more_horiz
No. Thank you very much for the help. I'll send a donation to help the cause!

Dave

more_horiz
Very well. Smile...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum