WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionLoud Fan EmptyLoud Fan

more_horiz
I recently bought a new case and mobo, both which i installed fine, but when i moved over my CPU and Heatsink/fan into the new case (which had better Ventilation) it became loud. *when i removed it from the old mobo the past was hard, and the heatsink was also hard to remove, I was wondering if it was because of the thermal paste, or maybe its the case fan? I haven't really tested to check if it was my CPU fan, but since my case is see through i could put my ear by it and listen in, and it seemed to be the CPU fan.

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual Core Processor & fan that came with it
CASE

descriptionLoud Fan EmptyRe: Loud Fan

more_horiz
Hi wath56,

From what i have read it seems your paste needs to be cleaned off and apply new paste so the heat can transfer to the heatsink properly. The reason for the fan to cause such noise is that the fan is cooling your CPU with maximum strength the fan can offer. If you want to avoid your CPU from frying, i advise you to stop starting your machine and apply thermal paste as soon as possible.

You can go to a local computer store and purchase a small tube for a couple bucks, but not all thermal compound are the same. There are obviously good and bad thermal paste. I highly recommend you buy Artic Silver or TX-2 for thermal compound solution as they are highly recommended for thermal compound.

more_horiz
INeedHelp wrote:
Hi wath56,

From what i have read it seems your paste needs to be cleaned off and apply new paste so the heat can transfer to the heatsink properly. The reason for the fan to cause such noise is that the fan is cooling your CPU with maximum strength the fan can offer. If you want to avoid your CPU from frying, i advise you to stop starting your machine and apply thermal paste as soon as possible.

You can go to a local computer store and purchase a small tube for a couple bucks, but not all thermal compound are the same. There are obviously good and bad thermal paste. I highly recommend you buy Artic Silver or TX-2 for thermal compound solution as they are highly recommended for thermal compound.

Yeah i bought and applied new thermal paste, but its still loud, i also cleaned out any dust that was on the heatsink

** also if it helps, the connector for the CPU fan on the new mobo has 4 pins, my CPU fan only takes 3, but it fits just fine**

more_horiz
Since you are putting a 3 pin fan connector into the onboard CPU 4 pin, this means you cannot lower the speed of the CPU fan. You will need a special adapter with a built in resister to change the speeds in BIOS or a single fan controller.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum