WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

windows wont start

2 posters

descriptionwindows wont start - Page 2 EmptyRe: windows wont start

more_horiz
I am not sure what i could have possibly removed. I chose windows repair and same thing happened. Keeps restarting...

more_horiz
We are going to be using a Windows Recovery Environment to help disinfect the system so it may boot again.

Download the OTLPE Standard REATOGO Windows Recovery Environment.

• Place a blank CD-R disc in to your CD burning drive.
  • Download OTLPEStd.exe and double-click on it to burn to a CD using an ISO Burner. One can be found here.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
  • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
  • Change Drivers to Non-Microsoft
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\_OTL\MovedFiles
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

more_horiz
Well it would not let me do anything. Tried to repair and it said it could not repair it, send report to dell. I could not get past anything so finally dell back up and restore came up. I dont really have access to another computer at the moment or I could have followed your next message. So I backed it up and restored it. It is running now but I have noticed some glitches. Internet exploring not responding and other programs doing the same. I am not sure if this helps. i ran a system scan and it passed all tests but one. It failed targeted read test and it said WHD2O next to failed. I dont know what it means. Also what antivirus would you recommend?

more_horiz
So I backed it up and restored it

Did you just do a system restore or did you run the Recovery Console?

Also what antivirus would you recommend?.

Here's a list of free ones. I prefer MicroSoft Security Essentials.

Remember to only install one antivirus!

1) Avast! Home Edition
2) AVG Free Edition
3) Avira AntiVir Personal
4) Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows Vista\Windows 7 - 64 bit Download
4-a) Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP
5) Comodo Antivirus (Uncheck during installation "Install Comodo SafeSurf..", Make Comodo my default search provider" and "Make Comodo Search my homepage" if you choose this one)
6) PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

more_horiz
Well it wouldnt let me do a restore because it could not find the restore point i had created in the past so I had to do recovery which gave me the option to back up and then restore to factory setting as I got it when it was new. I have not restore the files it let me back up. I do not know what infected my pc in the first place. I know when I was running last scan and it found 4 item to remove it said it was spyware and adware..gamevance something so I assume it was from a game..i dont know. Thanks for the recommended anti virus list. Should I have any other protection on here?

more_horiz
I have not restore the files it let me back up. I do not know what infected my pc in the first place.

Before putting them back on your computer, you should scan them with your AV program first. I believe you can also scan them with SAS and MBAM.

Thanks for the recommended anti virus list. Should I have any other protection on here? .

You can keep SAS and MBAM on your computer, if you wish. Update them and run them regularly. Here are some other suggestions.

I suggest using WOT - Web of Trust. WOT is a free Internet security addon for your browser. It will keep you safe from online scams, identity theft, spyware, spam, viruses and unreliable shopping sites. WOT warns you before you interact with a risky website. It's easy and it's free.

SpywareBlaster- Secure your Internet Explorer to make it harder for ActiveX programs to run on your computer. Also stop certain cookies from being added to your computer when running Mozilla based browsers like Firefox.
* Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware
* If you don't know what ActiveX controls are, see here

Protect yourself against spyware using the Immunize feature in Spybot - Search & Destroy. Guide: Use Spybot's Immunize Feature to prevent spyware infection in real-time. Note: To ensure you have the latest Immunizations always update Spybot - Search & Destroy before Immunizing. Spybot - Search & Destroy FAQ

more_horiz
Ok great. thank you so much for all of your help. I appreciate it very much so. Big Grin

more_horiz
nature7827 wrote:
Ok great. thank you so much for all of your help. I appreciate it very much so. Big Grin

You're welcome. Tell your friends about us.

more_horiz
Oh i do tell everyone about this site.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum