WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWindows Update error and Backup problems EmptyWindows Update error and Backup problems

more_horiz
Hello,

So I've been trying to figure out what's been going on with my computer for a while. It's developed several problems. the first thing I noticed was that every time it tried to perform Windows Update then I received an error message.

Code 80070005 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
Code 643 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

As much as I have searched on the internet I cannot find a solution for these codes.

Secondly, and obviously connected was the fact that the computer kept re-starting itself in an attempt to install updates that kept failing. This became annoying especially if I put my computer into hibernate mode.

Lately, out of fear that my computer is about to die, I've bought an external hard drive. However mid way through the backup process it fails and gives me an error message.

Data error (cyclic redundancy check). (0x80070017)

Having done a quick internet check, some sites seem to suggest I need to check for errors on my hard disk. So in Run I typed:

chkdsk /f

I received message:

The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

I hit N, pressed enter and restarted.

It doesn't seem to have done anything and said the same thing when I tried it again.

Anyway, hope that's clear and someone out there can help!

Edit: Oh and I'm talking about vista here (surprise, surprise)...

Last edited by veronicaford on 6th June 2011, 12:09 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : missing information)

descriptionWindows Update error and Backup problems EmptyRe: Windows Update error and Backup problems

more_horiz
Hi Veronicaford,

when you try to run chkdsk in windows on C drive, you get this message:

"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

because windows is running from this drive, if you press Y(yes) windows will schedule the check for the next start up and you will see a message on screen upon the next restart, chkdsk will then run.

I should also inform you that it's possible an infection of some kind has caused these errors, if you would like to find out please follow this link: http://www.GeekPolice.net/f11-virus-spyware-malware-removal for expert infection analysis and removal help.

I hope this information helps, please feel free to ask for further details, good luck:)
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum