WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Microsoft Security Center Virus?

3 posters

descriptionMicrosoft Security Center Virus? - Page 2 EmptyRe: Microsoft Security Center Virus?

more_horiz
Hello.

I see that you are running µTorrent.
P2P(Peer to peer) applications are designed to help you easily share and distribute files between you and a group of people. But they can also be used to distribute malware, and thus are not considered safe.
The removal of these programs is optional, but highly recommended.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following programs.

µTorrent
    Adobe Reader 9.4.4
    Java(TM) 6 Update 21

Updating Java:

• Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 26.
  • Click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • In the Window that opens, select your platform, check the "agree" box, and click Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u26-windows-i586.exe that you downloaded to install the newest version.

Then download and install Adobe Reader X

How is the machine running now?

descriptionMicrosoft Security Center Virus? - Page 2 EmptyRe: Microsoft Security Center Virus?

more_horiz
Machine was running perfectly until I removed Adobe Reader 9.4.4. Now I can't open .pdf files. Also, tried to update JRE to Update 26 and process continued to fail and wound not update. System tray icons were present before all of this and after a restart they are missing again. Seems like I'm back to square one with same and different problems now.

the error code for the JRE update is: internal error 2753 regutils.dll

Last edited by pklong on 10th June 2011, 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add error code for JRE)

more_horiz
Did you install Adobe Reader X? you should be able to open pdf files once you install that.

more_horiz
sorry for the delayed response, my computer monitor died so i'm just now getting back online. yes, i installed adobe reader x and cannot open .pdf's. system tray icons are missing, and computer is back to same issues again. computer was normal until uninstalling adobe. ideas?

more_horiz
Hi,

What do you get when you try to open .pdfs?

more_horiz
decided to uninstall and re-install adobe reader-x to rule out corruption and now can open .pdf files. however the system tray/task bar icons are still missing.

more_horiz
Try this:

1. Back up the Registry by creating a restore point.
2. Go to Start > Run (or Windows-key + R), type in regedit and hit OK.
3. Navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cla sses\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Wi ndows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify.
4. Delete the values IconStreams and PastIconsStream.
5. Open up the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to the Processes tab, select explorer.exe and click End Process.
6. Open the Applications tab and click New Task at the bottom-right of the window.
7. In the message box that pops up type in explorer.exe and hit OK.
8. Explorer.exe will reload, and the missing icons should now be back in the system-tray where they belong.
9. Then if the volume bar isnt there, go to taskbar properties (where the volume was gray) and simply tick the box.

this should work, did for me!

From here: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-31257-how-to-recover-lost-missing-system-tray-icon

more_horiz
awesome, finally back to normal function!! thanks so much!

more_horiz
You're welcome, glad to help. Smile...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum