WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Home network not being detected by computer - wireless connected but no Internet

3 posters

descriptionHome network not being detected by computer - wireless connected but no Internet - Page 3 EmptyRe: Home network not being detected by computer - wireless connected but no Internet

more_horiz
Good afternoon.

At this point, let's try to reset the TCP/IP connection.

Get back to the command prompt and type
ipconfig /release and hit the ENTER

Once it releases, type
ipconfig /renew and hit the ENTER

descriptionHome network not being detected by computer - wireless connected but no Internet - Page 3 EmptyRe: Home network not being detected by computer - wireless connected but no Internet

more_horiz
Hi, this is not looking very promising. Behold:

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its me
dia disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3040:1ddd:808a:5e0b%12
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{4D82B6DB-0D81-43B5-BC92-047E0B2910ED}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Tunnel adapter isatap.gateway.2wire.net:

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

sconnected.

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3040:1ddd:808a:5e0b%12
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\windows\system32>

more_horiz
Looks like something happened because your IP address has changed. If you haven't please restart your computer and see if it gets on the network.

Either way please do an ipconfig /all and post the result.

thanks

more_horiz
Here goes. And thank YOU:

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ana-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-82-BA-FD-B7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3040:1ddd:808a:5e0b%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 20, 2011 4:00:52 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:00:55 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 301999746
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-DC-36-82-88-AE-1D-36-34-44

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 88-AE-1D-36-34-44
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

C:\windows\system32>

more_horiz
Well as I said, your IP address changed. It was 192.168.1.2 and now it's 192.168.1.6. So we have some activity.

Try again PING 192.168.1.1 and hit enter.

more_horiz
Horror! comes back from 192.168.1.6 and says "host unreachable". What is going on?

more_horiz
It's saying that it can't get to the router. However, it does have an IP address. So I'm scratching my head.

Hang on while I check something on my Windows 7 machine.

more_horiz
One last thing:

At the command prompt type in
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and hit the ENTER key

It should come back with:
Resetting Interface. OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action

Restart your computer and see what happens.

more_horiz
Got very optimistic about seeing the OK! message but got back to same unidentified public network with no internet access right after restart. For a minute it showed the NETGEAR and home network thing, I clicked on show map and the IP address was the .6 one. Sigh.

more_horiz
There are signs of hope, but my bag of tricks is empty. I see some signs that the laptop and router are talking. I'm saying this because the laptop got a new IP address. It should have however, got the same address (the .2 one).

Two things you can do:

1) Take your laptop to another wireless network and see if it connects.
** If it does not, then you have a laptop wireless network problem and it may require replacing the internal wireless card. Alternatively, you can purchase a USB wireless adapter that plugs into the USB port and looks like USB flash drives.

** if it does connect to the other wireless network, then you have an issue with your router. Yes, I know that the other computer connects.

2) The other option is to do a hard reset on your wireless router which will remove all your settings including the security. I would do this and see if it connects. After verifying it connects, re-install the wireless security.

When setting up your router, please put a password on the wireless network. Also change the default password to get into the router. The default login is admin for the user and password for the password for most Netgear routers. Check your manual to make sure. Change that password from password to something else please. Write it down along with the wireless password.

more_horiz
OK. I will try to find another network to connect. How do I do a hard reset on the router? I think I would try this first. Do you have any ideas as to why the IP address keeps changing? Originally it was the .1, then .2 responded, now it's .6. I wonder why. You think it has to do with that damn game? (going back to board games immediately if not before). In any case, thank you very much for your help, will keep you posted. Have a nice weekend.

more_horiz
The .1 is the address of the router itself. You can see that in the ipconfig readout where it says DHCP Server. It is the router that is giving your computer the IP address it needs to communicate on your network.

Yesterday your IP address was the .2 one. That would be the address that the router gives to the first computer that needs to talk on the network. The next computer would get .3 and so on.

Routers tend to remember which computers have which IP address. Since we renewed your IP address, your router gave your computer .6. Normally it would give it the same .2 address.

So why did it give it that .6 address? You have the other computer which is probably .3 and then you may have had two other computers at one point which got .4 and .5. So the next address is .6.

more_horiz
AHA! That is why you are the expert and I am NOT. Thank you.

more_horiz
Now when your friends come over you can run ipconfig /all and see what their IP address is.

more_horiz
Hey Jan2011, I'm back, like the Poltergeist. This past weekend I brought my laptop with me to a hotel, and tried connecting to the wireless there. It said it was connected but that I had "no internet access". So.... what to do now?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum