WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptioncan't get rid of bing/steam Emptycan't get rid of bing/steam

more_horiz
Good morning,
I hope I have picked the right place for this help question, let me know if not please.

My son received the civilization 5 game for the computer for Christmas. You have to download "steam" with it. Since then Bing has taken over. It is the default search engine instead of Google, When my husband goes respond to an email it pulls up msn instead of our default email...embarqmail. I have tried to go through the add/remove and tried to remove steam but it gives me a fatal error message. I have searched on line for a solution and tried one that had me doing a config type thing in the address line. That did not work. I am at a loss now. I don't want the stupid MSN taking over the computer and if I could get rid of the steam from our computer it would be great. BUT it is necessary for the game play. ( side note: we had to up our memory so he has not actually been able to play it yet. There are multiple steam attempts are listed in the download folder which won't let me get rid of and of course it won't let me remove the steam from the add/remove area) I think, we need to remove it all so when the memory does come we can start with a clean slate. But even after that happens, I will still be back to the point of having Bing taking over. CAn you help me get rid of it and then when of course when it is fully installed prevent it from being the default? I hope that all made sense.

brick

descriptioncan't get rid of bing/steam Emptybing search wont go away

more_horiz
just bought a new computer and it had I E 7 loaded . that bing search just wont go away . I call HP by phone call went to India . he could not get it off either.
here's hopeing some one has an answer . I have a
HP pavilion desk top DV7-4170US. windows 7 home premiun Thank You! Thank You! [b][i]

descriptioncan't get rid of bing/steam EmptyRe: can't get rid of bing/steam

more_horiz
Hi,
Lets reset IE settings first, visit link from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

After that, i suggest you to use CCleaner and clean your computer and fix registry.

After that, please tell me if you still have problem.

In Internet Explorer you can go to Tools > Internet Options > Set Home Page to http://www.google.com and press OK.

more_horiz
( a note first, I am assuming you are responding to my posted message and not the second message listed from a "Paul" .

Hi, I did as instructed. When opening a tab in firefox I am still getting the 'bing' search engine screen, not my google. I still can't remove steam from the add/remove area. I am getting two different messages:

Error 1306 Another application has exclusive access to the file 'C\newfolder\steamapps\winui.gcf' please shut down all other applications, then click retry.

I have no applications opened other than the email. Then the other message is:

Fatal error during installation.

I should have mentioned that we use Firefox....I went to tool and it does list my cnn as the homepage and I do go to the cnn page upon opening the internet. Just when I click 'open tab' it takes me to the stupid 'bing' search engine.

Thanks for helping....what should we do next?

brick

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum