WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionDon't want to lose my files - computer wants me to reinstall Vista Ultimate??? EmptyDon't want to lose my files - computer wants me to reinstall Vista Ultimate???

more_horiz
Hello,

i am in panic because my Dell - Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1 computer wants me to boot from CD.

it has been acting up lately so i decided to back up all my files today. unfortunately, it will not log me in; will not go into safe mode or last good configuration; it wants me to boot from the cd drive; when I placed the "reinstallation dvd - OS - Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1", it is asking me about the language and if I agree to the license terms .....

I am now panicking because I realize that I might lose all my files. Quickly, I turned off my computer and now having a panic attack. At this point, I really do not care for the computer anymore. I just want to make sure that I still have my files and pictures safe and that I can recover it.

Please, can anyone help me. Thanks.

descriptionDon't want to lose my files - computer wants me to reinstall Vista Ultimate??? EmptyRe: Don't want to lose my files - computer wants me to reinstall Vista Ultimate???

more_horiz
Hi,
Please put your installation DVD in your DVD/CD Drive and follow instructions on the screen. When you enter to Windows Installation window, choose your language and click Next. On next window, you can find link "Repair my computer", click on that.

• Choose Startup Repair.
  • Choose your operating system, Vista, and click Next.
  • If computer ask you "Do you want to use System Restore?" click No this time, or Yes if you like.
  • Windows will start repair process.

Info: Startup Repair is an automated repair process that scans your Vista installation for problems and attempts to automatically fix them. When you select to repair Vista from the Vista setup screen, and Vista detects problems, this process will be started automatically.

descriptionDon't want to lose my files - computer wants me to reinstall Vista Ultimate??? EmptyRe: Don't want to lose my files - computer wants me to reinstall Vista Ultimate???

more_horiz
Hello,

Sorry, this might sound stupid but I have 2 CDs:

1 - Operating System - reinstallation DVD; Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1
2 - Dell - Drivers and utilities; for reinstalling Dell Vostro 420 Computer Software;

The one that made me panic is cd no 1 when i put it in; it asked for the language but nothing about "start repair" - it came to a point of asking me if I agree about license ..... that's when i removed the cd and turned off the computer....

Do you think it is better to use cd 2 - drivers and utilities

My point is I really just want to make sure that I do not erase/delete my files and pictures.

Sorry, but just too anxious not to lose my files.... thanks

more_horiz
hello again,

Is there anyway that I can first save my files and documents before I start repair and reinstallation.

My priority right now are my files, pictures and documents

Thanks again

more_horiz
You need just Operating system CD for above procedure.

With repair, you won't lose anything. It should be link "Repair your computer" after screen where you have to choose language. It must be, check this link : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum