WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Red X (cross) icon by C: drive

2 posters

descriptionSolvedIn Safe mode

more_horiz
Don't know if this will help, but the normal Icon shows when in safe mode for both Administrator and the Owner.

When looking for more answers to this, I came across a post that suggested the the default icon file (IconCache.db) may be corrupted. They suggest deleting that file and restarting the computer. They thought this should cause the default HDD icon to return.

descriptionSolvedStill there

more_horiz
I tried the suggestion of deleting the IconCache.db file and the red X is still there. So that fix doesn't apply to this machine's problem.

descriptionSolvedRe: Red X (cross) icon by C: drive

more_horiz
Hello.
Lets try this, we'll make a backup of the registry first.

• Please use the following link to download ERUNT
  • Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer

Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note:to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

Please run OTL.exe.

• Copy the commands with file paths below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

:reg
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\c]

• Return to OTL, right click in the "Custom Scans/Fixes" window (under the light green bar) and choose Paste.

• Click the red Run Fix button.
  • A fix log in Notepad will appear. Copy the contents of the fix log to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy), and paste it in your next reply.
  • Close OTL.exe
If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

descriptionSolvedFix log

more_horiz
:reg
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\c]

descriptionSolvedFixed

more_horiz
You're brilliant!!!
That seemed to fix it. When I restarted the computer, the default icon is back.
Thanks so much.

descriptionSolvedRe: Red X (cross) icon by C: drive

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum