WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSolvedSoundcards

more_horiz
Hahaz. this question sort of pop up into my mind...

what does a soundcard do?
and what's the diff between having one and not having one?

descriptionSolvedRe: Soundcards

more_horiz
Its supposed to enhance the quality of the sounds i spose?

Kinda like a graphic card... cant play high graphic games.. but when u look at ur desktop it still looks about the same as without a G-card.. Awesome (sparkly)

P.S : I noe nuts.. xD

more_horiz
Very true....In a more technical sense, before the invention of the sound card, a PC could make one sound - a beep. Awesome (sparkly)

Although the computer could change the beep's frequency and duration, it couldn't change the volume or create other sounds.

At first, the beep acted primarily as a signal or a warning.

Later, developers created music for the earliest PC games using beeps of different pitches and lengths. This music was not particularly realistic and by todays standards was extrememly lame Awesome (sparkly)

Fortunately, computers' sound capabilities increased greatly in the 1980s, when several manufacturers introduced add-on cards dedicated to controlling sound. ie. Sound Cards.

Now, a computer with a sound card can do far more than just beep.
It can produce 3-D audio for games or surround sound playback for DVDs. It can also capture and record sound from external sources among many other things.
Thank the heavens for sound cards otherwise we'd still be listening to beep codes.

Regards

more_horiz
oh okay.. hahaz. thanks! XDD

more_horiz
LoLs.. i guess my nuts didnt help at all? haha..

more_horiz
Well, your nuts might help the lazy readers. And, nice info digitalocksmith.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum