WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptiondisplay driver has stopped responding Emptydisplay driver has stopped responding

more_horiz
My computer has recently been having issues while playing and streaming videos. After a few minutes into the video, the screen begins freezing and flashing black, while the audio can still be heard with the screen completely black. Sometimes, the blue screen appears and the computer automatically restarts, but most often, I must manually push the power button to restart. Once Windows Vista reopens, a message appears saying that my display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered. This has repeated for several days now. After the last time it occurred, I could not even see the Windows screen during reboot -- all I could see were fuzzy colored lines on my screen. I had to plug in another monitor to see the screen, which showed a message saying that restart was unsuccessful. Can anyone help me figure out the problem and how to fix it? Is this a hardware problem with my graphics card, or perhaps an issue with a display driver update? Thanks for your help!

Btw, my video card is a 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

descriptiondisplay driver has stopped responding EmptyRe: display driver has stopped responding

more_horiz
Hello and Welcome !

Try this free video stress test: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Code:

FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
- Click "Quit" to exit

Try this free stress test: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Code:

Prime95 Setup:
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight you may want to run the "Small FFTs" test instead.
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.

More info on this particular error (applies to all video cards, not just AMD): http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=104677&enterthread=y

descriptiondisplay driver has stopped responding EmptyRe: display driver has stopped responding

more_horiz
Hi, thanks for your response. I'm wondering what should be done after running the stress tests. My screen goes black much more often now, even without running any videos. I actually tried downloading the most updated NVIDIA drivers along with the recommended driver for my Dell Inspiron 1420 earlier, which might have made the problem worse. I'm not very tech savvy, so any advice on how I may solve this issue will be greatly appreciated.

more_horiz
Hello,

I'm afraid it might be a bad GPU. if it covers warranty then send it for RMA. If not take it to a PC Repair shop and test it another GPU to conform it. I'm sorry i couldn't be more helpful in this senario.

more_horiz
Most probably a faulty GPU. Another thing you can try is to uninstall the driver, restart and install it again.

How long since you bought your laptop by the way?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum