WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Jave Installation problem-can't uninstall, new one not working

3 posters

descriptionJave Installation problem-can't uninstall, new one not working EmptyJave Installation problem-can't uninstall, new one not working

more_horiz
Don't know what's going on with my Java. I downloaded the new one, but it's not being recognized.

When I try to open the Java Control from >Control Panel it says file not found.

When I try to remove 'Java(TM) 6 Update 21' from >Control Panel>Add Remove Programs it says "Fatal Error during Installation"

Their page says to disable Firewall...don't know if this is the problem...but I don't know how to disable it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

descriptionJave Installation problem-can't uninstall, new one not working EmptyRe: Jave Installation problem-can't uninstall, new one not working

more_horiz
Hello! I have reported to our fantastic Tech Staff that you need help.

Someone shall be with you shortly.

descriptionJave Installation problem-can't uninstall, new one not working EmptyRe: Jave Installation problem-can't uninstall, new one not working

more_horiz
thank you...i just noticed that i mis-spelled Java...Jave=Java. sorry

more_horiz
Please download JavaRa from here

• First, unzip it.
  • Then run JavaRa.
  • Select English from the drop down menu and press Select.
  • This will open JavaRa.
  • Press Remove older versions
  • Press yes to the prompt.
  • It will make a log file of what it's removed.

Then look for the following Java folders and if found delete them.

C:\Program Files\Java
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Java
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sun\Java
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Java
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Sun\Java

Next

Download and Update Java Runtime
The most current version of Sun Java is: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 21.

• Go to
    http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
  • In Platform box choose Windows .
  • Check the box to Accept License Agreement and click Continue.
  • Click on Windows Offline Installation, click on the link under it which says jre-6u21-windows-i586-p.exe (Top One) and save the downloaded file to your desktop.
  • Install the new version by running the newly-downloaded file with the java icon which will be on your desktop, and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Uncheck the Toolbar button (unless you want the toolbar)
  • Reboot your computer

To test your Java Run-time, you may go to this page http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
When all is well, you should see Java Version: 1.6.0_21 from Sun Microsystems Inc.

more_horiz
I had used the javaRa prior to this posting. I used it again on your suggestion, then went through the steps. It showed that I already have the updated version but i told it to reinstall it. It still is not working.

As per the troubleshooting on the Java site, I have enabled it through my browser-no problems there. However, I can't enable it through the Java Plug-In Control Panel.

This control panel is not working and I was unable to remove it.

Last edited by ahna67 on 16th September 2010, 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more details)

more_horiz
This control panel is not working and I was unable to remove it..

What happens when you try to open the control panel?

more_horiz
it says "system cannot find specified file." C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javacpl.exe

Last edited by ahna67 on 16th September 2010, 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more specific)

more_horiz
In IE, go to Tools - Internet Options - select the Security tab. Then click on the Internet icon and select "custom level". Change "Download unsigned ActiveX Controls" to prompt and click OK. If you get a prompt to save the settings, click on Yes. Then click OK to exit the page.

Try Revo Uninstaller free:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

To remove all Java. Then try to install Java.

more_horiz
ok. i'm nervous at this point....it found 226 registry items. do i delete them all?

more_horiz
Yes the ones in bold. But your safe to do them all.

more_horiz
ok

more_horiz
wow...don't know what i'm doing wrong...gonna try again. just a sec

more_horiz
grrr. maybe it's getting too late. i saved the install program to my desktop. clicked to install. after 1st few screens it says "this program is already installed on your computer, do you want to reinstall' the first time i said no. and it ended. 2nd time i said yes and got the message"this only applies to program already installed...."

reminds of the famous question, "do you walk to school or pack your lunch?" grrrr.

tomorrow's a new day. gotta turn in for the night.

more_horiz
Java can be a real pain to install. We might need to update windows XP installer if the below doesn't work.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:
Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
Click the "Delete Cookies" button
Next to it, Click the "Delete Files" button
When prompted, place a check in: "Delete all offline content", click OK
* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):
Go to Tools > Options.
Click Privacy in the menu on the left side of the Options window.
Click the Clear button located to the right of each option (History, Cookies, Cache).
Click OK to close the Options window
Alternatively, you can clear all information stored while browsing by clicking Clear All.
A confirmation dialog box will be shown before clearing the information.
* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin
Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
Let it scan your system for files to remove.
Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
Press OK to remove them.

Click Start, right click on explorer and select internet properties
Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
Also try the restore option
When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.

Download and install CCleaner
  • CCleaner
  • Double-click on the downloaded file ccsetup220_slim.exe and install the application.
  • Keep the default installation folder C:\Program Files\CCleaner
  • Click finish when done and close ALL PROGRAMS
  • Start the CCleaner program.
  • Click on Registry and Uncheck Registry Integrity so that it does not run (basically the very top, uncheck it)
  • Click on Options - Advanced and Uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours"
  • Click back to Cleaner and under SYSTEM uncheck the Memory Dumps and Windows Log Files
  • Click on Run Cleaner button on the bottom right side of the program.
  • Click OK to any prompts

Be sure to restart your PC

OK we need to download Java Offline and save it to your PC Desktop:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Be sure to download the offline version: The last one (filesize: 15.9 MB)

Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 Offline

Then from your desktop double-click on Offline Java to install the newest version. Let me know how it went?

more_horiz
dangit all! same msg: "This software is already installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?" >yes >"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

i get 2 of those

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum