WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Win32 on XP

2 posters

descriptionWin32 on XP - Page 4 EmptyRe: Win32 on XP

more_horiz

more_horiz
Dragonmaster Jay,
sorry for the delayed response, we had a situation with a skunk and two dogs that took up the last couple of days....at this time everyone reports that it seems to be running much better. Occasionally it seems to get stuck on loading a page, but much better at this point. I would like the kids to use it for a while to see if any situations pop up.
again, thank you for your consistent help.....you have made this old computer a functioning 'member of the family' again.
do you have any suggestions of anything we might do to help avoid this situation again?
as a reminder we have currently avast, cookienator, psi, malware bytes and spyblaster.

brick

more_horiz
Software recommendations

Firewall

• Tallemu Online Armor: the free version is just as good as the premium. I have linked you to the free version.
  • Comodo Firewall: the free version is just as good as the premium. I have linked you to the free version. The optional security suite enhances the firewall by 40% increase. If you would like to install the suite that includes antivirus, then remove your old antivirus first.
  • PC Tools Firewall Plus: free and excellent firewall.

AntiSpyware

• SpywareBlaster
    SpywareBlaster is a program that prevents spyware from installing on your computer. A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster may be found here.
  • Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    Spybot - Search & Destroy is a spyware and adware removal program. It also has realtime protection, TeaTimer to help safeguard your computer against spyware. (The link for Spybot - Search & Destroy contains a tutorial that will help you download, install, and begin using Spybot).

NOTE: Please keep ALL of these programs up-to-date and run them whenever you suspect a problem to prevent malware problems.

Resident Protection help
A number of programs have resident protection and it is a good idea to run the resident protection of one of each type of program to maintain protection. However, it is important to run only one resident program of each type since they can conflict and become less effective. That means only one antivirus, firewall, and scanning anti-spyware program at a time. Passive protectors such as SpywareBlaster can be run with any of them.

Securing your computer

• Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • hpHosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. This prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1, which is your local computer's loopback address, meaning it will be difficult to infect your computer in the future.

Please consider using an alternate browser
Mozilla's Firefox browser is a very good alternative. In addition to being generally more secure than Internet Explorer, it has a very good built-in popup blocker and add-ons, like NoScript, can make it even more secure. Opera is another good option.

If you are interested:

• Firefox may be downloaded from here: http://www.getfirefox.com
  • Opera is available here: http://www.opera.com/download/

See this page for more info about malware and prevention.

more_horiz
Good morning Dragonmaster Jay,
This is the first morning I got a chance to boot up the desktop and see how it started. I have had no reports from the kids as far as the computer running slow, but then again they tend to not tell me these things until it is really bad. The computer came up better, no freezing and was up and fully running at a good rate.
So I decided to update the malwarebytes, avast, spyware blaster and run a defragmentor.....but during the malwarebytes avast popped up a message that a suspicious file was found in a 'sessions store'. I deleted it. but I know for a fact this is the second time the same type of file has come up. It sounds like something in a stored file or perhaps something to do with the dreaded msn live....In case you have forgotten, I did delete the Msn live and redownloaded it and we got rid of the 'xxx' running situation, but now we have this. AGAIN, I can't be sure it is the msn live. It is just what the kids use for live chatting.
What do think we should do now?
Thank you for your patience on letting me get the kids to run with the computer for a bit to see what came up.

OH, after re reading your post above, I do already use Firefox on all our computers...and have checked out many of suggestions and plan on using some, as soon as the issue is taken care of.

brick

Last edited by brick on 20th September 2010, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mor information)

more_horiz
If you feel that suspicious, I would recommend to start a new topic.

I know that all malware is gone.

more_horiz
One more thing, this morning when my daughter brought the computer we got the same message from avast....I wrote it all out to get the exact message..." c:/documentsandsettings/davidandmarla/applicationdata/mozilla/firefox/profiles/luomhhjy.default/sessionstore-l.js"

so this appears to be in the firefox stuff....any ideas? this seems to be the only thing at this point that is sticking out....otherwise we feel the computer is doing much much better. The fact that avast is finding this...is this good? and/or I should not try to find what the source is or let avast handle it? sorry...that was not worded well.

thanks for all your help!

brick
:smile2:

Last edited by brick on 21st September 2010, 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)

more_horiz
c:/documents and settings/davidandmarla/application data/mozilla/firefox/profiles/luomhhjy.default/sessionstore-l.js

That is a fake file. I would have it deleted.

more_horiz
I did delete it through avast, but that is the second time this message came up. is there some other place it is that I need to go to, to delete it also?

brick

more_horiz
Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:

Code:

:filefind
    sessionstore-l.js

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

more_horiz
Ok dragonmaster Jay,
here is the log.

brick

SystemLook 04.09.10 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 18:36 on 22/09/2010 by David and Marla
Administrator - Elevation successful

========== filefind ==========

Searching for "sessionstore-l.js"
No files found.

-= EOF =-

more_horiz
As it says "No files found."

If your antivirus pops up about that again, and there is an ignore button, click on Ignore.

more_horiz
Ok, thanks again for all your help Dragonmaster Jay. It has been years since the old computer ran this good.

brick

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum