WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionUse PATA CD/DVD ROM Drive with SATA HDD or Other Way Around? EmptyUse PATA CD/DVD ROM Drive with SATA HDD or Other Way Around?

more_horiz
I am looking to replace the motherboard (and CPU) in a 5 year old computer that (I think) went bad. It's all old PATA connections but new boards have multiple SATA connections and only one PATA. I think the hard drive is still good, but with only one PATA on new mb's I am forced to choose. Is it better to replace the HDD or the two optical (one CD, one DVD) over to SATA? I have looked at the PATA to SATA connectors but not sure how reliable they are. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated on this.

Woody

descriptionUse PATA CD/DVD ROM Drive with SATA HDD or Other Way Around? EmptyRe: Use PATA CD/DVD ROM Drive with SATA HDD or Other Way Around?

more_horiz
if it has one PATA connector you can still use 2 PATA devices all IDE cables have 2 connectors so you dont have to choose as long as the single PATA connector can act as a primary connector also i do beleive you can still get new MOBO's that have PATA only connectors (my motherboard is an asrock 775i65g with primary and secondary PATA and primary and secondary SATA connectors DDR1 memory and an 8x AGP expansion slot and 3 pci slots and an lga 775 cpu connector) supported cpu's and other specs for it here

descriptionUse PATA CD/DVD ROM Drive with SATA HDD or Other Way Around? EmptyRe: Use PATA CD/DVD ROM Drive with SATA HDD or Other Way Around?

more_horiz
xald wrote:
if it has one PATA connector you can still use 2 PATA devices all IDE cables have 2 connectors so you dont have to choose as long as the single PATA connector can act as a primary connector also i do beleive you can still get new MOBO's that have PATA only connectors (my motherboard is an asrock 775i65g with primary and secondary PATA and primary and secondary SATA connectors DDR1 memory and an 8x AGP expansion slot and 3 pci slots and an lga 775 cpu connector) supported cpu's and other specs for it here

Thank you. I do want to replace with as good a mobo I can afford. Maybe I will get a new cd/dvd combo drive instead of the one of each that I have now and run both HDD and that optical off the same PATA cable. But then when I was first taught how to build a computer years ago, I was told to always make sure the HDD had it's own cable and the 3.5 and cd drives can share. I am not sure if that still applies with today's mobo's or not. I'm hopping it doesn't matter anymore.

more_horiz
3.5 cables are different than cdd/hdd cables and as long as the cd drive id secondary not primary it should work fine(: it does for me:)
if you have a dvd drive it should also read/play cds as well

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum