WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWindows Vista Service Pack 2 installation failed error code: 80070490 EmptyWindows Vista Service Pack 2 installation failed error code: 80070490

more_horiz
Hello,

I am having trouble with my Vista service pack 2 update. It seems to have downloaded, but fails when installing. I have had other updates download fine and install sucessfully but this one always fails. I believe it's been trying to install this update for some time, but i just noticed it recently. The details of the failure are as follows:

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (KB948465)

Installation date: ‎7/‎24/‎2010 10:40 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070490

Update type: Important

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 is an update to Windows Vista that includes all of the updates that have been delivered since Service Pack 1, as well as support for new types of hardware and emerging hardware standards. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista License Terms.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948465

Help and Support:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd767387.aspx

When I follow the links at the bottom of the report for help, the first one is a dead end that doesn't seem to apply to my situation and the second leads me to an option of downloading a "standalone" version of sp2. I don't know if I should try this or not. I'll copy some details:

Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista

Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista is an update to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. It provides customer and partner feedback-driven fixes into a single service pack, minimizing deployment and testing complexity. In addition to all previously released updates since Service Pack (SP1), SP2 supports new types of hardware, and adds support for several emerging standards.
Download Service Pack 2

SP2 standalone downloads are for computers that have Windows Server 2008 SP1 or Windows Vista SP1 installed and want to update to Service Pack 2.

Five Language SP2 Stand-Alone Download
The Five Language SP2 Stand-Alone download is for computers with one or more of the following five languages: English, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish. If your computer has any other language installed, this option will not work.

* Stand-Alone Version (x86)
* Stand-Alone Version (x64)
* Stand-Alone DVD ISO (x86, x64, ia64)
* Stand-Alone Version (ia64)

All Language SP2 Stand-Alone Download
The All Language SP2 Stand-Alone download is for computers with any of the 36 supported Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista languages.

* Stand-Alone Version (x86)
* Stand-Alone Version (x64)
* Stand-Alone DVD ISO (x86, x64, ia64)
* Stand-Alone Version (ia64)

Deploy Service Pack 2

* Windows Server 2008 SP2 Deployment Guide

Get technical information, procedures, and recommendations for installing Windows Server 2008 SP2 SP2 in a business or corporate environment.
* Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Deployment Guide

Get technical information, procedures, and recommendations for installing Windows Vista SP2 in a business or corporate environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bryan

descriptionWindows Vista Service Pack 2 installation failed error code: 80070490 EmptyRe: Windows Vista Service Pack 2 installation failed error code: 80070490

more_horiz
bump. any help here would be appreciated, i have no idea why this fails.

Thanks,

Bryan

descriptionWindows Vista Service Pack 2 installation failed error code: 80070490 EmptyBump

more_horiz
bump.

descriptionWindows Vista Service Pack 2 installation failed error code: 80070490 EmptyRe: Windows Vista Service Pack 2 installation failed error code: 80070490

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum