Please read the following information that I have provided, which will help you prevent malicious software in the future. Please keep in mind, malware is a continuous danger
on the Internet. It is highly important to stay safe while browsing, to prevent re-infection.Software recommendationsFirewall
- Tallemu Online Armor : the free version is just as good as the premium. I have linked you to the free version.
- Comodo Firewall : the free version is just as good as the premium. I have linked you to the free version. The optional security suite enhances the firewall by 40% increase. If you would like to install the suite that includes antivirus, then remove your old antivirus first.
- PC Tools Firewall Plus : free and excellent firewall.
SpywareBlaster is a program that prevents spyware from installing on your computer. A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster may be found here .
- Spybot - Search & Destroy .
Spybot - Search & Destroy is a spyware and adware removal program. It also has realtime protection, TeaTimer to help safeguard your computer against spyware. (The link for Spybot - Search & Destroy contains a tutorial that will help you download, install, and begin using Spybot).
Please keep ALL
of these programs up-to-date and run them whenever you suspect a problem to prevent malware problems.Resident Protection help
A number of programs have resident protection and it is a good idea to run the resident protection of one of each type of program to maintain protection. However, it is important to run only one
resident program of each type since they can conflict and become less effective. That means only one
antivirus, firewall, and scanning anti-spyware program at a time. Passive protectors such as SpywareBlaster can be run with any of them.Securing your computer
Please consider using an alternate browser
- Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
- hpHosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. This prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1, which is your local computer's loopback address, meaning it will be difficult to infect your computer in the future.
Mozilla's Firefox browser is a very good alternative. In addition to being generally more secure than Internet Explorer, it has a very good built-in popup blocker and add-ons, like NoScript, can make it even more secure. Opera is another good option.
If you are interested:
See this page
for more info about malware and prevention.
Thank you for choosing GeekPolice. Please see this page
if you would like to leave feedback or contribute to our site. Do you have any more questions?