WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Windows Explorer has stopped working.

2 posters

descriptionWindows Explorer has stopped working. - Page 2 EmptyRe: Windows Explorer has stopped working.

more_horiz
Try this.

To get to Device Manager click Start>>Run type devmgmt.msc click OK Look down the list for Display Adapters
Click on the + sign to expand
Double click on your video card
Click on the Driver tab

Uninstall the driver

Restart the PC

descriptionWindows Explorer has stopped working. - Page 2 EmptyRe: Windows Explorer has stopped working.

more_horiz
No Improvement, it also seems as though i cannot update any software that I currently have on the computer, and Norton antivirus asks me to activate it everytime i turn the computer on.

more_horiz
bump

more_horiz
I aren't too sure what is causing it, while I work with the other techs, run these quick scans for me.

Click Start > In the little search box, type in cmd, then when it find the command prompt, right click it > Run as administrator.

When the command prompt opens, type in the following:

sfc /scannow

Hit enter, this will run the system file checker.

Then do the same again for this command:

chkdsk /f

Report back on any fixes. Smile...

Last edited by Belahzur on 11th July 2010, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Im not currently near the laptop, but whenever i go on it, every firewall i have is down, and when I turn them back on the computer crashes, could this be a virus?

more_horiz
Possibly.

Run ESET Online Scan
Please do an online scan with ESET Online Scanner. Please use Internet Explorer as it uses ActiveX.

• Check (tick) this box: YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click on the Start button next to it.
  • When prompted to run ActiveX. click Yes.
  • You will be asked to install an ActiveX. Click Install.
  • Once installed, the scanner will be initialized.
  • After the scanner is initialized, click Start.
  • Check (tick) Remove found threats box.
  • Check (tick) Scan unwanted applications.
  • Click on Scan.
  • It will start scanning. Please be patient.
  • Once the scan is done, the log will be saved here: C:\Program Files\esetonlinescanner\log.txt.

more_horiz
when doing the scannow, it gets to 96 percent and then comes up with the message "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation" and it doesn't recognise the other command, this is the ESET log:

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner64.ocx - registred OK
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK

more_horiz
Hello.

Please re-open Malwarebytes, click the Update tab, and click Check for Updates. Then, click the Scanner tab, select Perform Quick Scan, and press Scan.

Post the new log when done.

more_horiz
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4304

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

11/07/2010 23:16:17
mbam-log-2010-07-11 (23-16-17).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 128334
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

more_horiz
Any Ideas?

more_horiz
As far as I can see, it's not malware related.

You could try opening a topic in the operating systems forum, see if any other techs have any ideas.

On a related note, please uninstall Frostwire, P2P is dangerous.

more_horiz
Thanks for all your help, not many would have persisted with this for this long.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum