WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionMariofev.A EmptyMariofev.A

more_horiz
Hello, this is the first time I have ever been unable to remove a virus from my pc, any help would be much appreciated, I ran OTL but the log is to big to fit here, I have attached it to the post in a docx file, txt was not working. sorry.

Aaron.

descriptionMariofev.A EmptyRe: Mariofev.A

more_horiz
Welcome to GeekPolice Forums! I'm Crush but, you can call me Chris too Smile... and I will be helping you with your Malware issues.

A few things to keep in mind as we progress:

1. We are all volunteer staff here so we log in and assess threads when real life, work, family, and other obligations permit. Additionally, we are located all over the world. There may be a bit of a time delay due to this.

2. Malware Removal threads are very time intensive. Each entry must be researched until it can be said with 100% certainty whether or not it can stay or needs to be removed. Sometimes additional work is needed to weed out suspect entries

3. This may turn into a long ordeal but, rest assured we will stay with you until you are completely disinfected.

4. Only Tech Officers, Global Moderators, Administrators, and Malware Advisors are allowed to give advice on removing malware from your computer. Do not run any tools unless specifically asked to by a member of one of these usergroups

5. If you are not the original poster of this thread DO NOT run any fixes given to the poster in this thread. They are all custom tailored specifically to this user. It could prove to be disastrous.

6. Please keep responding until I give you the "All Clear". Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.

7. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.

8. If you have any questions or issues please stop and ask! We are all here to help.

IMPORTANT: Please be aware that removing Malware is a potentially hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

Because of this, I advise you to backup any personal files and folders before you start.

If you follow these instructions, everything should go smoothly Smile....

Please subscribe to this thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted.

To do this click Mariofev.A Profil11 , then click Preferences. Make sure Always notify me of replies is set to Yes

With that out of the way:

I see you have Bittorrent installed on your machine. We are not here to pass judgment on file-sharing as a concept. However, we will warn you that engaging in this activity and having this kind of software installed on your machine will always make you more susceptible to re-infections. It is certainly contributing to your current situation.

Please note: Even if you are using a "safe" P2P program, it is only the program that is safe. You will be sharing files from uncertified sources, and these are often infected. The bad guys use P2P filesharing as a major conduit to spread their wares.

I would strongly recommend that you uninstall them, however that choice is up to you. If you choose to remove these programs, you can do so via Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs.
=====

Please download ComboFix Mariofev.A Combofix from BleepingComputer.com

Alternate link: GeeksToGo.com

Rename ComboFix.exe to commy.exe before you save it to your Desktop
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools A guide to do this can be found here
  • Click Start>Run then copy paste the following command into the Run box & click OK "%userprofile%\desktop\commy.exe" /stepdel
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

Mariofev.A Query_RC
Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:
Mariofev.A RC_successful

• Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the contents of C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

more_horiz
Hey Chris, thank you for helping me out, I do appreciate it. ok so i did as asked and trust me man, I'm sure I had a heart attack, my computer crashed once, restarted 3 times, def. a new experiance, also I was never prompted for Windows Recovery so I assume that I already have it? also I noticed it deleted a file related to microsoft essentials, just curious, sorry for all the questions, here is the log.

more_horiz
Hi Aaron,

Oh man! This is gonna be a fun one Cheesy Grin (sparkly

There's still evidence of BitTorrent in your logs. Have you uninstalled it as well?
======

• Please go to Jotti's malware scan

• Copy and paste the following file path into the "File to upload & scan"box on the top of the page:

• c:\windows\unvise32.exe

• Click on the submit button

• Please post the results (URL) in your next reply.

========

Mariofev.A Bf_new Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from [URL="http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe"]Malwarebytes.org[/URL].
Alternate link: [URL="http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe"]BleepingComputer.com[/URL].
(Note: if you already have the program installed, just follow the directions. No need to re-download or re-install!)

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

(Note: if you already have the program installed, open Malwarebytes from the Start Menu or Desktop shortcut, click the Update tab, and click Check for Updates, before doing the scan as instructed below!)

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. If you are prompted to restart, please allow it to restart your computer. Failure to do this, will cause the infection to still be active on the computer.
  • Please save the log to a location you will remember.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • The log can also be found at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
  • Copy and paste the entire report in your next reply.

more_horiz
Hehe, that was my fault, totally forgot to uninstall it, ok did as you asked and here it it.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4219

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

21/06/2010 9:22:36 AM
mbam-log-2010-06-21 (09-22-36).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 299750
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 40 minute(s), 42 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search\Local Page (Hijack.SearchPage) -> Bad: (http://www.iesearch.com/) Good: (http://www.Google.com/) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\Windows\Fonts\pbKSEi.com.vir (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\Windows\system32\nmklo.dll.vir (Worm.Mariofev) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\My Pictures\My Pictures.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/3c580ed0020a308780f415c137aef6952e0d4762/7f0c29f16c191a37ef40b1f0331e7266358f12c9

more_horiz
Hi Aaron,

That's cleaned up even more junk woohoo!

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan

• Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the option Scan unwanted applications is checked
  • Click Scan (This scan can take several hours, so please be patient)
  • Once the scan is completed, you may close the window
  • Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic

more_horiz
Hey Chris, I hope this is what you're looking for, thanks a bunch my pc is already running faster!

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK

more_horiz
Perfect. That's picked up nothing. How are things running now?

more_horiz
A lot faster, everything is smooth and I don't get any virus notifications, alls good, thanks Chris, you really helped out!

more_horiz
Congratulations!! Your PC is all clean! Big Grin

To uninstall ComboFix

• Click the Start button. Click Run. For Vista: type in Run in the Start search, and click on Run in the results pane.
  • In the field, type in ComboFix /uninstall

[
(Note: Make sure there's a space between the word ComboFix and the forward-slash.)

• Then, press Enter, or click OK.
  • This will uninstall ComboFix, delete its folders and files, hides System files and folders, and resets System Restore.

There are many things you can do to keep this from happening again. You can think of a computer like a car. It requires basic maintenance to keep in tip top shape and ready to go. Would you drive your car 100,000 miles without changing the oil? The same principle applies here.

Cleaning

Now that your PC is free of malware, it is important to clean up your PC. There are several good free cleaners available. You should make sure to clean up your temp files regularly, at least once a week.

ATF Cleaner
CCleaner

Defragmenting Your Hard Disk

Over time your PC can become fragmented, Windows comes with a defragmenting utility, however, it is very slow, and there are other options available.

To use the defragmenter included with Windows either go to Start/Run and type dfrg.msc, hit enter; or
right-click My Computer, choose Manage, Storage, Disk Defragmenter.

In the Defragmenter utility, select your main partition/HD, generally C:\ and select analyze . The analysis report will tell you whether or not your disk needs to be defragmented, if it does, click defragment. Be patient, this can take a long time.

Repeat for multiple partitions/hard disks.

System Restore Cleanup Instructions

If you are using Windows ME or XP then it is good to disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files left in a restore point. (All restore points will be deleted that way)
You can find instructions on how to disable and re-enable system restore here:

Windows ME System Restore Guide

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Reading Tip:
Computer Health
Keep Your System Updated

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and Office products regularly to patch up Windows and Office products loopholes and fix any bugs found. Please ensure that you visit the following websites regularly or do update your system regularly.

Install the updates immediately, if they are found. Reboot your computer if necessary, revisit Windows Update and Office update sites until there are no more updates to be installed.

To update Windows and office

Go to Start > All Programs > Microsoft Update

Alternatively, you can visit the link below to update Windows and Office products.

Microsoft Update

If you are forgetful, you can change some settings so that you will be informed of updates. Here's how:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Automatic Updates
2. Select Automatic (recommended) radio button if you want the updates to be downloaded and installed without prompting you.
3. Select Download updates for me, but let me chose when to install them radio button if you want the updates to be downloaded automatically but to be installed at another time.4. Select Notify me but don't automatically download or install them radio button if you want to be notified of the updates.

Please make sure that you update your antivirus, firewall and anti-spyware programs at least once a week.

Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files.

1. Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.
2. Never open emails from unknown senders.
3. Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These are called hoaxes. The email addresses used in the hoaxes can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.
4. Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on Sourceforge or Pricelessware.

Surf safely

Many security exploits on websites are directed to users of Internet Explorer and Firefox.

If you use Firefox, try the No-script Add On - which, by default, disables all scripts on all websites. If you trust the website, you can manually allow scripts to work.

Backup regularly

You never know when your PC will become unstable or become so infected that you can't recover it. Follow this Microsoft Article to learn how to backup. Follow This Article by Microsoft to restore your backups.

Alternatively, you can use 3rd-party programs to back up your data. Examples of these can be found at
Bleeping Computer

Avoid P2P

I see you have P2P software installed on your machine. We are not here to pass judgment on file-sharing as a concept. However, we will warn you that engaging in this activity and having this kind of software installed on your machine will always make you more susceptible to re-infections. It is certainly contributing to your current situation.

Please note: Even if you are using a "safe" P2P program, it is only the program that is safe. You will be sharing files from uncertified sources, and these are often infected. The bad guys use P2P filesharing as a major conduit to spread their wares.

I would strongly recommend that you uninstall them, however that choice is up to you. If you choose to remove these programs, you can do so via Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs.

Prevent A Re-infection

1. Winpatrol

Winpatrol is a heuristic protection program, meaning it looks for patterns in codes that work like malware. It also takes a snapshot of your system's critical resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without you knowing. You can read more about Winpatrol's features Here

You can get a Free Copy of Winpatrol or use the Plus Version for more features.

You can read Win Patrol FAQ if you run into problems.

2. Hosts File

A Hosts file is like a phone book. You look up someone's name in the phone book before calling him/her. Similarly, your PC will look up the website's IP address before you can view the website.

Hosts file will replace your current Hosts file with another one containing well-known advertisement sites, spyware sites and other bad sites. This new Hosts file will protect you by re-directing these bad sites to 127.0.0.1.

Here are some Hosts files:
MVPS Hosts File
Blue Tack’s Hosts File
Blue Tack’s Hosts Manager

3. Spybot Search and Destroy

Spybot Search & Destroy is another program for scanning spyware and adware. You are strongly encouraged to run a scan at least once per week.

Spybot Search & Destroy can be downloaded from here.

If you need help in using Spybot Search & Destroy, you can read Spybot Search and Destroy tutorial at Bleeping Computer.

4. SiteHound Toolbar

SiteHound is a toolbar that warns you if you go to a site that is known to scam people, that has potentially lots of viruses or spyware or other questionable content. If you know the site, you can enter it; if you don't, it will bring you back to the previous page. Currently, SiteHound works for Internet Explorer and Firefox only.

====

Stand Up and Be Counted ---> Malware Complaints<--- where you can make difference!

The site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story and, in that way, launch a complaint against the malware and the makers of the malware.
============================================================
See this page for more info about malware and prevention.
Thank you for choosing GeekPolice. Please see this page if you would like to leave feedback or contribute to our site.
Before the thread is archived, do you have any more questions?

Happy surfing and stay clean!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum