WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionexternal hard drives Emptyexternal hard drives

more_horiz
hey,

i'm wondering if i should get a 1 tetrabyte external harddrive. Are they less reliable than 500 gb harddrives because my computer studies teacher once told me that they "seem" to be less reliable than smaller sized harddrives.

Also, my cousin's computer can transfer files to a usb flash drive very quickly. he once copied a file into a flash drive in a few seconds while it took me 5 - 10 minutes so what kind of harddrive would give me quick file transfers.

also should i wait for that usb 3.0 thing to come out before i buy a new harddrive? does usb3.0 make file transfers faster?

thanks

descriptionexternal hard drives EmptyRe: external hard drives

more_horiz
they "seem" to be less reliable than smaller sized harddrives.

Less reliable in what way? They're all the same in terms of reliability to me.

it took me 5 - 10 minutes so what kind of harddrive would give me quick file transfers.

Flash drives have different read/write speed. Of course the more expensive flash drives have higher speeds.

What type of external hard drive are you looking for? Portable or those AC powered type? USB 3.0 is much much faster, but I guess it will take some time before the whole industry adopts its technology.

more_horiz
my computer studies teacher said the very large sized harddrives seem less reliable as in they have more of a tendancy to malfunction.

About the flash drive. Me and my cousin transferred the same file to the same flash drive to see how much faster it was.

I'm looking for an ac powered one coz i mean even if i take it to school, they have power sockets at school so portability isn't an issue. i'm always gonna have power.

I'm also wondering how much faster is usb3.0. it says on trademe:

Transfer a 24 GB HD movie in 2.7 minutes vs. 13.3 minutes with a 2.0 connection
*Your performance may vary based on your system configuration. HD movie size approximates a 2 hour movie. 2000 MP3 files assumes a file size of 5MB or total. Transfer speeds were achieved on a system with 64-bit Windows 7 Intel quad core 2.67 GHz

is that true?, i mean 24gb in 13.3 min isn't that bad but if i get a laptop, it probably won't be 2.67Ghz

Also, can you use ac powered harddrives on laptops?

more_horiz
Hmm... not sure how true is that but I have a 1TB external hard drive, been running good ever since I bought it.

An AC power hard drive is pretty darn troublesome to carry around, it's not that small with the casing and adapter with it.

And yeah, that's roughly the speed. USB 3.0 is really fast compared to USB 2.0, but I wouldn't wait for it if I were you.

Yes you can use AC power hard drives with laptops, you need a power socket.

more_horiz
okay thanks

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum