WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

System Security Virus?

2 posters

descriptionSystem Security Virus? - Page 2 EmptyRe: System Security Virus?

more_horiz
I would indeed be appreciative of prevention and security tips. At present, I keep all Windows components updated. I also keep my antivirus updated.
I routinely run Lavasoft AdAware and Malwarebytes. I suspect I came across a bug when accessing a site I found during a Google search as that was the first time I encountered the issue. I used to utilize McAfee SiteAdvisor and Trend Micro's comparable utility (I don't recall it's name).
However, they had some issues with IE8 when it came out and both seemed to slow down my computer somewhat. Of course, I never open e-mail attachments unless I am expecting them from someone. Beyond this, I really don't do anything else.

more_horiz
Ok let's clean up and get security wise.

Now to get you off to a good start we will clean your restore points so that all the bad stuff is gone for good. Then if you need to restore at some stage you will be clean. There are several ways to reset your restore points, but this is my method:
  • Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
  • On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore Point
  • Click NEXT
  • Enter a name e.g. Clean
  • Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point, to get rid of the bad ones:
  • Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup.
  • In the Drop down box that appears select your main drive e.g. C
  • Click OK
  • The System will do some calculation and the display a dialogue box with TABS
  • Select the More Options Tab.
  • At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP button click this
  • Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will close and you are done

To remove all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created, please do the following:
Please download OTC.exe by OldTimer:

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click OTC.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes.

Note: If any tool, file or folder (belonging to the program we have used) hasn't been deleted, please delete it manually.

==

Please download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start
    button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp
    files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute
    or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

==

Download Security Check by screen317 from SpywareInfoforum.org or Changelog.fr.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

more_horiz
Thanks so much for the continued assistance. I have performed each of the clean up issues per your instructions.
Posted below please find the contents from Security Check. I see it notes that my Windows Firewall is disabled. That is because the McAfee firewall is enabled.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.1
Windows XP Service Pack 3
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Disabled!
ESET Online Scanner v3
McAfee SecurityCenter
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Ad-Aware
HijackThis 2.0.2
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner
Java(TM) 6 Update 18
Java Auto Updater
Out of date Java installed!
Adobe Flash Player 10
Adobe Reader 9.3
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

Ad-Aware AAWService.exe is disabled!
Ad-Aware AAWTray.exe is disabled!
McAfee VIRUSS~1 mcshield.exe
McAfee VIRUSS~1 mcsysmon.exe
DNS Vulnerability Check:

GREAT! (Not vulnerable to DNS cache poisoning)

`````````End of Log```````````

descriptionSystem Security Virus? - Page 2 EmptyRe: System Security Virus

more_horiz
As a further follow up to the findings of Security Check:

1. It notes my Java is out of date. Thus, I went to Control Panel where the Java icon is located. I double clicked that and went to the update tab. It checked my Java and came back that it was up to date. Perhaps there is another type of updating this program of which I am unaware.

2. I do not utilize the Ad-Aware Ad-Watch Live real time protection module as I was afraid it would interfere or conflict in some manner with the McAfee program. I have been told that two such real time programs can cause problems. Let me know if that is the case.

more_horiz
For your information, I checked my Java and it is listed as V. 6 Update 18.
The Java site says this is the latest version.

Thanks

more_horiz
I know, the Security Check tool appears to be out of date. Sorry for that.

Please read the following information that I have provided, which will help you prevent malicious software in the future. Please keep in mind, malware is a continuous danger on the Internet. It is highly important to stay safe while browsing, to prevent re-infection.

Software recommendations

AntiSpyware

• SpywareBlaster
    SpywareBlaster is a program that prevents spyware from installing on your computer. A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster may be found here.
  • Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    Spybot - Search & Destroy is a spyware and adware removal program. It also has realtime protection, TeaTimer to help safeguard your computer against spyware. (The link for Spybot - Search & Destroy contains a tutorial that will help you download, install, and begin using Spybot).

NOTE: Please keep ALL of these programs up-to-date and run them whenever you suspect a problem to prevent malware problems.

Resident Protection help
A number of programs have resident protection and it is a good idea to run the resident protection of one of each type of program to maintain protection. However, it is important to run only one resident program of each type since they can conflict and become less effective. That means only one antivirus, firewall, and scanning anti-spyware program at a time. Passive protectors such as SpywareBlaster can be run with any of them.

Rogue programs help
There are a lot of rogue programs out there that want to scare you into giving them your money and some malware actually claims to be security programs. If you get a popup for a security program that you did not install yourself, do NOT click on it and ask for help immediately. It is very important to run an antivirus and firewall, but you can't always rely on reviews and ads for information. Ask in a security forum that you trust if you are not sure. If you are unsure and looking for anti-spyware programs, you can find out if it is a rogue here:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Securing your computer

• Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • hpHosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. This prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1, which is your local computer's loopback address, meaning it will be difficult to infect your computer in the future.

Please consider using an alternate browser
Mozilla's Firefox browser is a very good alternative. In addition to being generally more secure than Internet Explorer, it has a very good built-in popup blocker and add-ons, like NoScript, can make it even more secure. Opera is another good option.

If you are interested:

• Firefox may be downloaded from here: http://www.getfirefox.com
  • Opera is available here: http://www.opera.com/download/

Thank you for choosing GeekPolice. Please see this page if you would like to leave feedback or contribute to our site. Do you have any more questions?

descriptionSystem Security Virus? - Page 2 EmptyRE: System Security Virus

more_horiz
You have provided me with wonderful information. I really appreciate your continued help. I do not have additional questions at this time. Have a Great Day!!!!!

more_horiz
You're welcome.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum