WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionRear Microphone EmptyRear Microphone

more_horiz
Hi.

I was recommended by your Virus, Spyware & Malaware forum. They helped me get my machine back up and running after some virus attacked my automatic Windows updates, and then some.

Now that my computer is running smoothly, I discovered that my rear microphone is no longer working. Normally I wouldn't care, because I also have a USB microphone that works fine. However, the rear microphone is what connects to my computer's telephony modem, which I have attached to my house landline, whereupon I could receive and make speakerphone calls from my computer.

I have a Dell E510, running Windows XP media Center.

In my Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Voice tab, I have the Voice playback and Voice recording set to the Sigma Tel Audio. When I run the test hardware in the voice recording area, the first step, Test Microphone results in the volume meter jumping up and down erratically but shows nothing being picked up at all. Then when I click Next I get a sound wizard failure screen that exits the test because it detects no sound from the microphone.

When I click on Control Panel/Speech, it gives me the following error: "The requested task cannot be carried out because the necessary speech engine could not be created. Please select a different engine and/or a different audio device." This feature was working in the past as well.

I should also mention that I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking with the USB microphone, which is working excellently, no changes here.

I can't figure out what is going on and how to fix the rear microphone without disturbing anything with my Dragon NaturallySpeaking program.

All of my sound output via the speakers is working fine also.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

descriptionRear Microphone EmptyRe: Rear Microphone

more_horiz
Did you reinstall windows yourself?

Go to Controls Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager. Look for any yellow exclamation marks. If there is one there is a driver conflict... This seems like the most likely cause of this...

One more reason might be in the way you reinstalled windows. If you did a repair install then it would keep your drivers from the last installation and so it should work...

more_horiz
Nope. No windows reinstallation involved.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum