WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Windows Protection Suite and Internet Redirect Virus/Trojan

2 posters

descriptionWindows Protection Suite and Internet Redirect Virus/Trojan - Page 2 EmptyRe: Windows Protection Suite and Internet Redirect Virus/Trojan

more_horiz
Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /uninstall

This will also reset your restore points.

How is the machine running now?

descriptionWindows Protection Suite and Internet Redirect Virus/Trojan - Page 2 EmptyRe: Windows Protection Suite and Internet Redirect Virus/Trojan

more_horiz
(1) When I tried to run "ComboFix /uninstall", McAfee gave a message saying that it has detected and removed a trojan called "Artemis such and such". It appeared that the ComboFix Uninstall did not run due to this error message. When I tried Start>Run>ComboFix /uninstall again, a message said that this could not be run since ComboFix was removed or it could not be found.

Should I have disabled McAfee before running the uninstall? Where should I go from here to reset my restore points?

(2) Otherwise, the machine seems to be running fine, with the exception of the text under each of the icons (e.g. MS Excel) on the desktop which still have a dark blue background. This appeared concurrent with the virus/trojan. Prior to the torjan/virus, the icon text background was some other color. Is it possible that this setting was changed, but now that the trojan is removed, the setting has not changed back?

(3) How can I have confidence that my personal data is protected now that all of this is done?

more_horiz
Please forget about (2) above!!! The blue icon text background came from: Control Panel>Display>Appearance>Media Center Style. I changed this back to Windows XP Style. I'm not sure how it got changed in the first place (trojan?), but it is how I prefer it now.

more_horiz
1. False positive, many components of Combofix are flagged by Mcafee as a trojan or HackTool, etc, all are false positives.

3. If you stay away from bad websites and P2P programs like Limewire and such, you'll be find. If something is too good to be true, more than likely it is.

more_horiz
I actually built my confidence in this fix by running Spybot and finding that the previously unremovable trojan and virus were in fact removed by Combofix. And the machine seems to be running perfectly fine. Thank you so much for your assistance!!!

How we got this trojan in the first place is a big mystery. I never use sites like Limewire, etc. Yahoo, google, my bank, etc., and I never open or download executables, McAfee Security Center is always running...

The hackers are getting smarter, so I'm glad that you can still outwit them.

more_horiz
If only...there is some infections out there that cannot be fixed at all, not without formating.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum