WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

FakeAlert Trojan-Can't Log on to computer

2 posters

descriptionFakeAlert Trojan-Can't Log on to computer - Page 4 EmptyRe: FakeAlert Trojan-Can't Log on to computer

more_horiz
Is there any way I can recover files from the hard drive before re-formatting?

descriptionFakeAlert Trojan-Can't Log on to computer - Page 4 EmptyRe: FakeAlert Trojan-Can't Log on to computer

more_horiz
Yes. You can use Ubuntu as a LiveCD, which means you do not have to install it right away to use it. You can transfer files using the LiveCD.

Here's how:

Burn the disc as the installation says, then use it to boot the computer. The computer should recognize the disc and boot from it.

Now, on boot you will see a language selection screen. Choose the language.

You will see option on the menu. Select the one that says "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer."

It will then begin loading Ubuntu from the disc.

You will then see a "human" background. Select at the top "Places" and then down to Computer.

It will display all of the drives. You can freely access that data and transfer it to an external drive or flash drive. It will probably be labeled "00 GB Media" - that is the hard drive. If you see another drive in there, like a flash drive then it might say "00 GB Media" as well. Try to tell the difference. (00 is just a generic idea for the number of GB in the drive)

Plug the flash drive in, and copy and paste the files you want from the hard drive on to the flash drive/external drive.

Ask questions if needed. Smile...

more_horiz
First of all, Thank you so much for all of your help. I truly appreciate it.

Second, on to business...

I successfully transferred files to a flash drive using Ubuntu. I have a few questions at this point.

1) what do I need to do to ensure that the files on the flash drive are "clean". The files include a lot of photos, Word and Excel docs, emails and attachments (I use Eudora) and a large database. Is simply scanning using Avira (on this other computer) sufficient?

2) I have a re-installation CD for Windows. Can I use this to re-format and re-install Windows?

3) While checking out Ubuntu, I discovered that I am able to access the internet and reach my email account. Am I able to exploit this to clean up the computer without re-formatting?

more_horiz
1. Scanning using an antivirus is sufficient.

2. Yes that CD can do the job.

3. You are able to use Ubuntu to do your Normal tasks. But, due to the complexity of the issues here, it is hard to tell what system files are infected that are preventing Windows from booting.

Thorough recovery is probably not possible due to how damaged Windows was. The best thing to do is reformat and reinstall to make sure your system files are intact and you have a nice clean feeling.

I rarely ask people to do this task as it is a "final way out" - but if I was able to help disinfect those system files, then I would have to know which ones are damaged. And since your computer cannot boot, except from the LiveCD, you cannot get blue screens which would tell us what is wrong.

Indeed this is a crazy situation, but the feeling of having a totally clean computer with a fresh install is incomparable. Once you get it set up, get a good security load, to further keep yourself safe on the Internet. I promise you, it will not be a bad decision.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum