Gwennifer
itachi666
sekharg2007
SpicyLobster77
zahidrocks
koolvikas
rattakua
26 posters

descriptionHow to Install Windows From a Flash Drive - Page 2 Emptyinstalling windows from a flash drive

more_horiz
Sir my computer boots successfully from it when i select it as the boot device...but when i make it the 1st boot device then the computer doesn't boot from it...please help me sir...Smile...

descriptionHow to Install Windows From a Flash Drive - Page 2 Emptyinstall xp from pendrive

more_horiz
hiiiiii
there is a prblm occure while installing
the new pop window is not open after selecting all option from the menu which copy the xp into flash drive.

"Another dialog box will pop up, asking you if you want to start the file copy. Click "Yes". The command window will again activate and start copying files to the flash drive which will take a few minutes." it is not working
plzz give me the solution
thnksssss

Last edited by jyoti yadav on 3rd April 2010, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : some text missing)

descriptionHow to Install Windows From a Flash Drive - Page 2 EmptyRe: How to Install Windows From a Flash Drive

more_horiz
can i direct copy the xp folder into flash drive?????//

descriptionHow to Install Windows From a Flash Drive - Page 2 EmptyRe: How to Install Windows From a Flash Drive

more_horiz
i get an error ntldr missing when i boot from flash drive.!!!!
wat to do?????

descriptionHow to Install Windows From a Flash Drive - Page 2 EmptySimple one program solution for installing windows from USB Flash drive

more_horiz
After spending a lot of time trying to get this process (install Windows XP from USB Flash drive) working I found a much easier, quicker, solution. It's called WinToFlash.

http://wintoflash.com

This is an easy way to make Windows XP bootable from a USB Flash drive. (Seriously, easy!)

Optionally you can follow these nLite tutorials to remove unnecessary Windows files before installing Windows:
  • http://www.i64x.com/eeexp.php
  • http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp

I just finished doing this on my Asus 1001p netbook, after removing Windows 7 Starter (which consumed over 500MB of the 1Gig of memory.)

I decided to opt for installing Windows XP via a USB Flash drive. I didn't have an external DVD drive available. After following various complicated tutorials (which never did fully work for me) I found a very simple way to take the resulting Windows install files created by nLite (or copied from your Windows install disc) and create a bootable Flash drive: WinToFlash ( http://wintoflash.com ).

With WinToFlash all you need to have is a Folder on your PC containing all the Windows install files. Then you just open WinToFlash, tell it where your Windows install files directory is, then tell it what letter your Flash drive is (i.e. J: ). It does the rest for you. SIMPLE Smile... Once it's done boot from the flash drive on your netbook (or PC you want to install this copy of Windows on).

When I first tried this I was getting bsod (blue screen of death) errors when Windows setup was starting. (The problem was not with WinToFlash) After doing some research online I decided it might be due to some corrupt files (the XP disc I copied files from was too scratched up)... so I located another disc and went through the nLite process again (was easy because it saved my previous settings)... then did the WinToFlash process again. This time Windows XP installed without a problem from my USB Flash drive! (much easier than the tutorials that wanted me to accomplish this with 3+ programs and never worked)

The best thing about this is:

- My Windows install was only 270MB (with all Asus 1001p driver integrated and non-essential windows XP stuff removed, thanks to the nLite tutorial)

- Bootup to XP is fast (less than 30 seconds)

- Memory usage is at less than 200 MB! smile even after installing a bunch of programs (disabled non-essential startup processes).

- No CD/DVD drive necessary for installation.

more_horiz
hi
i wanna know that after this will my pen drive will again be tured into a simple pendrive

descriptionHow to Install Windows From a Flash Drive - Page 2 EmptyFault ...

more_horiz
Fantastic post ...

however with me something went wrong ...

I did everything exactly as per instructions , but when I arrived to press 4

and should been asked if want to start the formatting , what shows up is a window asking if you want to delete a tempimage or save on the top of the black window in which shows up the following

" enter your choice : 4

lets prepare a temporary virtual drive ....
closing existing virtual drives if any ....
virtual disk driver for windows version 3.1
http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/

the virtual driver is not installed
virtual disk driver for windows version 3.1
htpp://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/

the virtual driver is not installed
existing virtual driver if any are closed

**** EXISTING Tempimage. img file was found ****

and shows up a samll window asking if want to delete or no the tempimage.img file ...

if I clic yes ...

the program closes and nothing hapen....

I´ll be very happy to have a answer for that ...

thank you

maxkover

descriptionHow to Install Windows From a Flash Drive - Page 2 EmptyMuch better solution from T4T!

more_horiz
This creates a virtual CD which will boot on almost any netbook.
The CD is perfect in every way. This will also work with any other OS (As long as your flash drive can hold it)
http://techline4teens.com/archives/102

more_horiz
i have follow the instruction and have make an usb bootable xp. the problem is when entering setup the laptop hardisk is not detected... only the usb storage is available.. can somebody help me..

descriptionHow to Install Windows From a Flash Drive - Page 2 Emptya little confuse what to do after formatting

more_horiz
im having 3 partition and i just want to install windows by formatting my c drive.

im confused that what i need to do means after formatting my c drive i need to restart the system or just do the normal process......!

i nt creating or deleting the partition......!

more_horiz
First of all, thanks to the OP for putting this together.

@vk_2009:
I haven't tried yet, but it appears you should only exit setup and restart IF you create a new partition (despite the way the OP phrased it).

If you want to be sure, just exit and restart the setup after you formatted, it won't do any harm.

---

EDIT: Didn't look to the post age before replying, but the advise is still valid for anyone with the same doubt.

more_horiz
You don't need any tools for creating a bootable usb. Just use the command line.

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Just read that and you'll be done in no time. I've found winflash and other similar tools not workable.

Note: Just because you have a usb port doesn't mean you can boot from a usb. Most computers these days can, but some older ones bios don't support this. If you can't boot from it, try upgrading your bios from your manufacturers site.

more_horiz
This topic is NOT about creating a bootable USB pendrive. Please don't confuse the readers more than they already could be.

This is about installing Windows XP from a bootable USB drive (whether they are flash drives or otherwise). That is something you will not achieve simply by making a bootable USB drive and then copying Windows setup files. In order to actually install Windows the setup files must be modified and there are several ways to achieve that; this topic simply explains one of those.

Besides that, if you'd like to make a bootable drive or a drive with several bootable disk images, then the tools at PendriveLinux.com are much better than any of the methods listed in Bootdisk.com.

more_horiz
USB pendrives are the same thing as flash drives. Just a different name. You should know as you provided a link for creating a bootable linux pendrive/usb. Please keep calm as I was only posting what I thought was helpful.

This is about installing Windows XP from a bootable USB drive (whether they are flash drives or otherwise). That is something you will not achieve simply by making a bootable USB drive and then copying Windows setup files. In order to actually install Windows the setup files must be modified and there are several ways to achieve that; this topic simply explains one of those.

That is what I posted. Look at Method 6. That tells you exactly how to do it. I followed that exact thing and created a Windows Server 2008 R2 bootable usb where I can install it from. Similar to a dvd. That it is how I installed my OS.

I'm not sure on why you need to modify the setup file. That is not required and could be consider piracy. Only things that should be modified are the .ini files if you are doing a slimstream for SQL Server 2008 or similar programs that support this.

more_horiz
I was perfectly calm as I wrote my reply. The same way as you considered what you posted to be helpful, I considered it not to be.

From my own post:
This is about installing Windows XP from a bootable USB drive (whether they are flash drives or otherwise)

I clearly stated USB drive there, not pendrive, as I thought it would be enough for you to realize that this method (as most others) work perfectly with external USB HDDs. Apparently, it wasn't clear enough, sorry about that.

From Bootdisk.com, method 6:
Note that this bootable USB guide will not work if you are trying to make a bootable USB on XP computer.

And neither will it work if you are trying to make a bootable USB drive to install Windows XP, no matter what bootsector you install to the drive.

I'm not sure on why you need to modify the setup file. That is not required and could be consider piracy. Only things that should be modified are the .ini files if you are doing a slimstream for SQL Server 2008 or similar programs that support this.

It is not required to modify the content of the setup files, and I did not claim that. The setup files as a whole must be modified (directory structures and whatnot), in the same way that nlite and many other tools do in different ways for different purposes, all of which are perfectly legal.

If you take a quick look at a search on Google you will see that it's not as easy as you think it is.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum