WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionHP or Asus . . . EmptyHP or Asus . . .

more_horiz
Hello,

My Dell laptop just crapped out on me for the last time. The thing is 4-5 years old, so I think it is ready to go. My problem though is that I was not budgeting for this disaster at the moment! I need to get something decent that will last me for a couple of years. Ideally I would like a Mac, but I don't want to spend the $$$ right now. Aside from that, I own PC versions of Office '07 and the Adobe Suite, so I am not ready to spend more money on those as well.

Anywho, I went to randomly went to Staples and came across this HP for $579 today! It's got just about everything I was looking for and for way less than I had seen elsewhere (and there is an optional dock which is something I had been wanting) . . .

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-dv4-1540us-Entertainment-Laptop/product-nr_828023?cmArea=SEARCH

I also saw a very nice Asus (I love their keyboards!), but it seems to have the same specs for $120 more. Is it really worth it & why?

http://www.staples.com/Asus-U80A-RSTML05-Laptop/product_831633?cmArea=SEARCH

I also found a slightly more expensive Asuys on Compusa's website

compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5290619&CatId=4938

Now here is my question, how does HP's Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz processor compare to the more expensive Asus' Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz processor? I'm not really up on things so I don't know.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Smile...

descriptionHP or Asus . . . EmptyRe: HP or Asus . . .

more_horiz
Hello,

I would go for the T6600 2.20 GHz.

The only difference is the SU7300 1.3GHz has 3MB cache opposed to the 2MB cache the T6600 has. Which doesn't matter much.

more_horiz
I agree with Doctor Inferno. The T6600 processor will make a big difference in the performance of your laptop.

more_horiz
My daughter had an HP notebook and we had nothing but trouble with it. We sent it back in five times. On the fourth time, they said "we'll replace the system when it's been sent in on the fourth return, this is only the third." I knew it was the fourth and my daughter reconstructed paperwork to prove it and they all but called me a liar. The customer service rep yelled at me, he yelled at me!! "All you want to do is get your way". I thought, here I am a 50 year old man trying to help my daughter who's in college and in tears and this company is yelling at me like I'm a 2 year old. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME. In my opinion, HP sucks. I will never buy another HP product. I used to be a strong HP advocate.

Anyway, don't buy HP. Their customer service group must be run by another company that's out to ruin HP. BAD BAD BAD.

Another potential benefit of ASUS is that they may allow extra control over the system and mild overclocking. I have an ASUS mainboard in two computers that I've built and they seem to be solid products. My primary desktop is an i7-920 that runs at 2.66 GHz overclocked to 3.6 GHz and it runs great. If they give you some control and you can mildly overclock your notebook you'll have a great system. Surely HP won't give you the controls to OC your notebook. I would vote for ASUS.

more_horiz
Each new laptop on the market of the time I am I have a good look around. HP recently bougth for his wife, you can get a good deal, the price is similar to Asus. I never thought I would never buy a Sony, because they are generally not good value for money, but you go.

more_horiz
ASUS is far superior than HP.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum