WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionRight Media?????????? EmptyRight Media??????????

more_horiz
Hi to all,
Right media was a company that was raken over by Yahoo for more than $600 million dollars.
Right Media places a tracking cookie on your system and makes money out of the unsuspecting user by marketing the information they gain from you whilst you are using your PC.

When I originally discovered this I was so incensed I emailed the company and demanded they remove their virus from my system (and yes I call it a virus as you are infected by their tracking cookie as soon as you visit any site that uses right media).

After about 20 emails that were not replied to I simply gave up, they were just thumbing their nose at me. (they must be still laughing)

In the end I blocked Right Media through my browser/tools/internet options/privacy/sites/block RightMedia.com.

What make me so mad is that this company treat us like we are idiots, their operation with this cookie is covert, not with the users permission, and they ignore you when you make a complaint.
Also I feel they are no better than the hackers that write trojans to peoples systems to gain information for their own personal benefit.

I cannot understand why there are no legalities with this and why RightMedia are not taken to task like any other pirate/hacker would be????????

I hope you can allow this post on your site, but I understand their could be legalities and if you wish to edit same or remove, at the end of the day I would rather have the GeekPolice and suffer with RightMedia.

Thanks once again to the GeekPolice for past assistance for previous problems, and a message to newbies, you have chosen a good site with good dedicated operaters.

cheers from Pete, Bairnsdale Australia

descriptionRight Media?????????? EmptyRe: Right Media??????????

more_horiz
According to RightMedia:

Right Media does not control the data collection policies of any website to which our technology delivers advertising or any website to which an ad is linked. Right Media assumes no responsibility or liability for the actions of such third parties with respect to their use of your information or otherwise. We encourage you familiarize yourself with the privacy policy of every website that you visit.

Many companies these days use tracking cookies, but if it can't be removed by Tool >> Clear Recent History (in firefox). Then something is not right.

Companies like Google store cookies on your computer, but they allow you to opt out: http://www.google.com/privacy_ads.html

more_horiz
I have known permanently set cookies are possible. These are cookies that are locked, usually by user's choice.

For example, WOT sets a cookie and locks it, because the add-on is installed, and the user is logged in to it. If the user removes the WOT add-on, the cookie becomes temporary.

OldTimer, a malware expert, had investigated that, and then release his tool TFC. TFC is able to remove these hard cookies.

more_horiz
There was once I was hit by a malicious cookie, I tried Spybot and Spyware Doctor (I no longer use both) and it can't be removed. Funnily enough, I tried clearing the cookie through the browser and it works. LOL Banner

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum