WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionStart Up problem - malware? EmptyStart Up problem - malware?

more_horiz
Hi - not sure what the problem is but here are the symptoms. I thought I would ask here before trying something on my own and really messing things up! My apologies if this is the wrong forum for this post.

This is computer is running XP with SP2.

The computer would not shut down using the usual start/turn off computer/turn off method. I tried ctrl-alt-del to start the task manager. It would not start.

Since there was no way to shut the computer down, I turned power-off / on. I saw the bios boot/set up screen. It was displayed (for about 20 seconds) and then the screen went dark. Previously at this point I would see the windows start up screens and things would proceed normally. I tried rebooting in the safe mode. I got similar results but this time SAFE MODE is displayed in each corner of the screen. The HDD light blinks briefly while in this mode but nothing else happens.

I installed a 640GB HDD in this machine in May 2009 and have been using this as my primary drive. I left the old HDD in the machine as the secondary drive. The computer will run when booted from the old drive so we do have a have to look at the files on the new HDD.

As I mentioned I wanted to get some expert advice here before proceeding on my own.

Thanks

pk

descriptionStart Up problem - malware? EmptyRe: Start Up problem - malware?

more_horiz
Sorry for the delay, we are busy here on the boards. If you are still having issues, please do the following:

Start Up problem - malware? Mbamicontw5 Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note)
  • Please save the log to a location you will remember.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

more_horiz
Thanks for the response. Since I can not boot from the 640GB HDD (the new one that is the primary drive), I assume I should boot from the secondary HDD and run MBAM and select all HDDs - correct?

more_horiz
Here is the MBAM log

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3029
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

10/25/2009 10:58:06 AM
mbam-log-2009-10-25 (10-58-06).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (H:\|)
Objects scanned: 578946
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 41 minute(s), 12 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{abd45510-9b22-41cd-9acd-8182a2da

7c63} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
H:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet

Files\Content.IE5\GHIJ8RMT\MakeTheWebBetter[1].exe (Adware.MakeTheWebBetter) -> Quarantined and deleted

successfully.
H:\Gary Laptop\Program Files\CIDGenerator\sob19.exe (Trojan.VkHost) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

more_horiz
Computer still will not boot from 640 GB drive even in the safe mode.

more_horiz
Hello.
Does is display an error why it wont boot from the other hardrive?

more_horiz
There is no error displayed. I do not know why it will not boot from the other drive. That is the problem I am trying to solve. When I try to boot in the safe mode, "SAFE MODE" is displayed in each corner of the black screen and the cursor is located in the center of the screen, I can move the cursor. Nothing else happens. I thought it might be a virus/malware.

more_horiz
It could be that the XP partition is corrupt, since there is no error message.

more_horiz
I think the partition is okay. I did a chkdsk on the drive when I booted from the secondary drive. Could it be a Windows file is corrupt. Could I copy the c:\windows from the good drive to the one that does not boot?

more_horiz
I doubt copying the entire directory would work, Windows file protection would block overwriting half the files in there.

You could just boot using your Windows disc if you have one and removing the partition that doesn't boot? Do you have an XP disc?

more_horiz
Wouldn't I have to re-install my programs if I remove the partition that does not boot?

more_horiz
Only the programs from that one partition, but yes.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum