WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Blue screen of death.... sort of

3 posters

descriptionBlue screen of death.... sort of - Page 6 EmptyRe: Blue screen of death.... sort of

more_horiz
Unfortunately no. I tried to boot with the burned disc and the system went to blue screen with a message to restart if it was the first time I'd seen the message and to restart in safe mode etc etc. It also had a stop message at the bottom but I didn t write it down. Sorry. Unfortunately i cannot even boot in safe mode now, the warning just keeps coming up so i am now using my work computer which has a different e-mail attached so if you could reply to mapexmonster@yahoo.com until we can get my system going again. Thanks !!!

descriptionBlue screen of death.... sort of - Page 6 EmptyRe: Blue screen of death.... sort of

more_horiz
Please get Ubuntu Linux from http://www.ubuntu.com

then use this tutorial to burn it:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

==

When you are able to boot in to Ubuntu, reply back here, and I can help you rescue your files, and do a virus scan for the other operating system.
This is a safe, easier process if a rescue disk does not work.

more_horiz
I have burned the disc at work. i will take it home and run it and then report back.

more_horiz
Very well.

more_horiz
Okay I have been able to open it on my machine. Whats next oh wise one?

more_horiz
Has Ubuntu been fully installed, you are able to boot in to it?

While on Ubuntu, please download avast! Linux Home Edition and install it.

When you have it installed, please let me know so we can continue the next step.

more_horiz
Yes Im able to boot to it. I will download avast tonight at home and report back tomorrow.

more_horiz
Ok.

more_horiz
Okay. I'm now back on my home computer thru ubuntu. Curious as to which version of the avast program to download. There are 3 options for the linux home edition. Thanks

more_horiz
Go ahead with the DEB version.

more_horiz
Just out of curiosity, when I installed ubuntu,I was not supposed to install it over windows was I? I chose the option, most continuous free space or something to that effect, now it says I dont have enough space to download avast.

more_horiz
No. It was to be merged in to a partition you would have created before installing it.

It would look like

Windows | Unallocated

==

We will now need to look at the partition editor.

At the beginning, upon boot, do you see something like this:

Blue screen of death.... sort of - Page 6 Bootmenu

If so, can you choose Windows and boot in to it?

more_horiz
I will try to boot to windows and see what happens.

more_horiz
I cannot access windows at all and ubuntu will only run with the disc in. Should I reinstall it?

more_horiz
Try to boot in to Windows installation. Is that possible?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum