WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSolvedLookinh into futture computer builds...

more_horiz
Well, while since my parents computer is failing(HD is fried), I'm taking this time to think of a computer that I could purchase while giving them the current one( I'll post up the Hijack Log soon, just as soon as I launch Hijack finally.)

What I'm currently thinking is using this website(from which my friend got his build) http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ to build a pc.
Here's a couple things I can't decide between and I was hoping you could clear up a couple things for me.
Should I get AMD Phenom QuadCore or some Intel Chip?
How much RAM and what type(2x2gb or 4x1GB)?
And if I would like to try and use Linux, along with Vista which one version of Linux is best for dual-booting and why? I am well aware that different versions of Linux perform different "tasks", so if you could, please give me a description.
As for fans, should I get LED and CASE fans just to play it safe?

Thanks you in Advance, Mr.Waulrus

descriptionSolvedRe: Lookinh into futture computer builds...

more_horiz
These are very broad questions when it comes to building your own rig or choosing an Operating System distribution.

Can you give us some more indications on what functions and outcomes you hope to perform and achieve with your new system and also what you will be using a Linux distro for?

There are several distro's that are dual-boot friendly but it depends on what you require from your OS!

Any extra info you can give will help us to give you a better answer to your questions!

They certainly have some nice rigs available at CyberPower though.....awesome!

Regards

more_horiz
As far as I know now, I am not looking forward to high-end gaming on this machine. Maybe some good old Counter-Strike but that's it. But that's what my Windows Vista is for.
I want a Linux Distro that is stable and that doesn't crash a lot. And I would like for it to be easy to switch to from Windows. I am looking forward to learning some desktop programming in the future, so a Linux distro that's geared towards programming would be great. Also, since I am planning on getting a 64bit CPU, a Linux Distro made specifically for b4bit processors would be great.
-Mr.Waulrus

more_horiz
I'm a fan of Ubuntu, but then again, I'm not a programmer,
Ubuntu has some nice stuff for dual booting from xp however.
On the hardware side of things (more of my forte) I would go for an AMD chip, simply because they are better value at the lower end of the price scale, and 2x2GB of ram would be faster, and leave room for more.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum