WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionconnected but cannot browse! Emptyconnected but cannot browse!

more_horiz
I have been having trouble connecting to my router for over 10 days now and I'm fed up with this computer I'm about to go and buy another Bring it on ! Now I admit to being a bit blonde when it comes to computers so go easy with me and if possible give instructions as if I'm a 5 year old child (although a 5 year old would probably know more than me I mean no disrespect to children! Smile... )

I am using windows XP home eddition.

I appear to be connected to my router (wireless) but I cannot browse the internet at all. My better half is able to connect and browse no problem so I don't think it's a router problem and I can connect using a wire but not without.

Any ideas? I'm at work just now but will log later today if anyone is able to help Please (puppy eyes)

Deniseee

descriptionconnected but cannot browse! EmptyRe: connected but cannot browse!

more_horiz
Hello,

Is the antenna connected to your router? Do you have wireless enabled in your router settings?

more_horiz
The router does not have an antenna.

You ask "Do you have wireless enabled in your router settings?" What does this mean? Wireless in enabled on computer how do I know if it's enabled on router..................sorry for being dense but as said I'm a bit of a technophobe

According to the pane I'm connected with excellent strength.but still can't browse. I have used the winsockxpfix from site suggested but still no go.

more_horiz
Denise, have u resolved your problem?

more_horiz
No unfortunately I have not.

I changed my IP address and got connected once but my zero config. seems to switch off and I have to re start every time I re-boot. It is on automatic however......

D

more_horiz
Ok, Denise, in order to help, I need some additional information. You've already told me that your operating system is xp home. What is the brand & model number of your computer? Is this a desktop or a laptop? How are u connecting reƖ, e.g., is this a USB reƖ adapter that plugs into your USB port, is it built into a laptop, did u buy a card from the store & put it in your computer or what? Has it ever worked?

Sorry for all the questions but I need this information to help me figure out what's going on. Quite obviously, your reƖ drivers are not loading. My son-in-law had this problem last night & I solved it by figuring out he had the wrong drivers loaded. Others have had the same problem because their laptop reƖ was not turned on. So, the reasons for it can be many, & I need to have this information to try to figure out what's happening. U can't give me too much information--the more I have, the quicker I can help u solve your problem. If u have questions about what I need, please ask.

more_horiz
Thank You!

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000, laptop. I previously had a wired connection with a belkin router and had no problems connecting reƖ. Because the server was very slow I changed and they provided me with a new router. I have not been able to connect reƖ since but my partner has no problem so I don't think it's a router problem. I have tried to connect to the old router but still no luck. My reƖ is enabled.

The providers advised me to change my IP address to 192.168.1. 200 (I think) and it seemed to work once. Also windows was not managing the network connection so I changed this but my zero config keeps switching itself off periodically when I re-boot and I have to manually switch it on dispite it saying it's on automatic.

I can connect with a wire no problem. I thought perhaps the firewall that is installed may be blocking connection but even if I shutdown this there is no improvement.

Not sure what you mean by reƖ? but I think it's built in to laptop.

Not sure what you mean by drivers either?
Thanks for trying to help.................
D

more_horiz
Denise, How long have u had this Dell? It's not unheard of that these reƖ adapters in these laptops break--my son-in-law's certainly did. As a 1st step, let's make certain the reƖ is on. Generally, there is a switch on the front of the laptop. Make certain that is turned on.

Next, let's click on start, then control panel, then system. Once in the system aplet, click the hardware tab, then the device manager button. Click network adapters, then click the plus sign to expand that. What network adapters do u have listed there?

Now, close out the device manager, but, still in control panel, click on network connections. Is there a reƖ icon? If so, right click it. Is it enabled?

What we've done thus far will tell me whether the machine is seeing your reƖ adapter & whether or not it's enabled. Lets's just stop at this point till we make that determination.

more_horiz
Ok, Network adapters are: 1394 Net adapter, Broadcom 44x 10/100 Intergrated Controller and Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network controller.

The reƖ light is on and in control panel the reƖ icon is enabled.

The laptop is 3 years old.

Thanks Smile...

more_horiz
Good, Denise, you're doin' great! Thank u for this info. Very helpful.

Now, please, let's go to control panel, click network connections, right click the reƖ icon, click view reƖ networks, & tell me if you're connected.

If not, click on the name of your network, enter your network key (your network is secured, right? cuz if not, it *really* needs to be), then click connect. BTW, if your network is *not* secured, let me know this & when we've solved this problem, I'll walk u thru the steps of securing it, cuz it's *really* important. I can also go into why it's *really* important once this is solved, if you'd like. Otherwise, just take my word for it that it is.

If u are connected to your network, then please do the following:
1) Make certain your network cable isn't plugged into your router;
2) Click start, click run, type cmd, & press enter or click ok.
3) type cd my documents & press enter.
4) Now type ipconfig /all > config1.txt & press enter. This creates a file called config1.txt. Please paste its contents for my review. The / just before the word all is usually located by the right shift key & when the shift key is held down represents the ? mark.

Again, thank u for your patience & cooperation.

more_horiz
Okay here they are: thanks for YOUR patience!

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Denise

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter reƖ Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-B4-30-B6

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.200

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.200

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.200
?
?
?
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 September 2009 21:19:00

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 01 October 2009 21:19:00

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Rergards
Denise Smile...

more_horiz
Kinda hoping someone would get back to me?
D

more_horiz
Denise, why I was not emailed that u had replied to this I am uncertain. Torks my jaws. I am really sorry.

Here's what I'd like u to do next.

Click start, then run, then in the box that appears type cmd & press enter. It's just like what we did b4.

Now I'd like u to type ping 192.168.1.200 & press enter. Please tell me the results.

I'd also like u on your hubby's computer to click start, run, type cmd & press enter. Now type ipconfig /all > hubby.txt & paste the contents in your reply for my inspection.

Please again accept my humble apologies. I cannot figure out why I wasn't notified that u had replied to this. I feel really bad & I got to u asap as I could after hubby's knee surgery.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum