WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionFolder Sharing Windows Vista EmptyFolder Sharing Windows Vista

more_horiz
I have added a new laptop to my home network. All of the other computers on the network are XP Professional. I have set sharing on all of those computers so that I have full access from any computer to any other. The new laptop came with Vista. I have attempted to turn on sharing but there is a problem.

From the laptop I can see the other computers on the network and access their folders. From the other computers I can see the laptop on the network and when I double click on it a box opens showing me all the folders that I have set to share. The problem is that I can't get into the folders that are shared. For example one of the users is Jim. I can see the Jim folder but if I double click on it I get the same error message you will get prior to setting up sharing. Don't have access, etc.

when I go look at the folder structure in the laptop the C: drive indicates it is shared, as do the Users and Jim folders. If I right click on the Jim folder, and click Share, the Jim Properties box shows that it is Shared and under Password Protection it says "Prople without a user account and password for this computer can access folders shared with everyone."

From everything I've read it appears that I have it right, but obviously I'm missing something as I can't get past the Jim folder when I try to access the laptop from another computer.

Can someone please tell me what I've missed??

Thanks,

Jim

descriptionFolder Sharing Windows Vista EmptyRe: Folder Sharing Windows Vista

more_horiz
Hello,

Please try to disable all your firewalls, they might be blocking your access.

more_horiz
Hey,

I have 2 suggestions for this but I will start with the more likely one first.

On the computer that HOSTS "Jim" folders is it a password protected account?
(Asin when starting windows click "John doe" then enter the password to access desktop)

by default windows will only allow you to share if the account is password protected.

If you don't have it passworded, and don't want a pass let me know and I will be able to instruct you on how to disable this.

more_horiz
Hi - thanks for the suggestions. I have tried disabling the firewall and the problem persists.

I have not set a password and I found the setting to allow sharing without a password, so I'm confused by this behavior.

When I set the user Jim for sharing then I could see the folder "Jim" from another computer, but can't access any of the subfolders or files in that folder.

When I set the folder for sharing there is a link at the bottom left in the setup box that you can click to show everything that is being shared in the folder you just set for sharing. When I click that another box opens but there are no files shown. I presume that is the reason I'm not gettig any further with this, but I don't find any way to get past this.

more_horiz
could you put a password on the account (for testing purpose )

Control panel > users > add password

a long time ago i had a very similar problem and even with 'allow sharing without a password' set, it would still need the user account to have a password for the shared files.

if that works you can remove the password and i can tell you how to disable that setting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

my second suggestion was.

right click the drive/folder your sharing > properties > sharing tab > advanced sharing > permissions > ADD > advanced > find now then select 'NETWORK' from the list, OK & apply.

THEN

right click the drive/folder your sharing > properties > Security > Edit > ADD > advanced > find now then select 'NETWORK' from the list, OK & apply.

you will need to do this on the XP machine, but do it on the Vista as well

more_horiz
OK - These are some good things to try.

Speaking of the network, when I installed the XP computers it asked me for the name of the network I wanted to join. Windows defaults to WORKGROUP but you can rename it. All of the XP computers on assigned HOMENETWORK.

I have search all over this Vista computer and find that I can rename the computer, but nothing about changing from WORKGROUP. I don't know if that makes any difference but thought I would mention it. From the Vista computer I can see both WORKGROUP and HOMENETWORK and all the computers on it.

more_horiz
ye, ya could try that see if it works.

to change the name of the group in vista.

1. Right Click on your My Computer icon (or just Computer in vista)
2. Click Properties from the context menu
3. The information will be on the window that appears

youwill see this
Folder Sharing Windows Vista System

just to the rtight there will be "change settings" click that.

Click the Computer Name tab, and then click Change.

then you will have this

Folder Sharing Windows Vista GetOpenContent

more_horiz
I see. They don't give you the option to change the workgroup name until you actually open the dialog box to change the computer name.

Thanks, I'll give all this a try this evening.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum