WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSolvedRe: Can't logon to Windows???

more_horiz
Bnasexton:

a) The only stupid question is the 1 u needed to ask & didn't;
b) The disks are likely incompatible as they are keyed to the type of computer;
c) Did the disk say what operating system this was & does it indicate whether it's bootable? Better yet, what does the label actually say?

If I were u I'd check w/Dell regarding the price of restore disks. Generally these do not run more than 10-15 USD. Pain in the u-know-where, but fairly inexpensive for a newer computer, if u wanna look at it that way.

Have a blessed evening.

more_horiz
OK...the disk says "Operating System" at the top. Then it says "Reinstallation DVD Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2." It says "The software is already installed on your computer. Only use this DVD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell PC." AND it says "For Distrubution Only With a New Dell PC."
In the BIOS screen I set it up to read the CD-ROM first. It shows that the CD-ROM is recognized but when it restarts I don't get the option to boot from the CD. Also, I know that on some computers you can click F12 to give you the option to boot from the CD. I hit F12 and it did give me a different screen. Went by to fast to read and record it but something about cntrl+alt+del...nothing about the option to boot from CD. Ugh! I guess I'm checking out Dell for a specific restore disk. What a pain! If anyone else has any ideas, I'm awake. UGH!

more_horiz
Evening, Bnasexton:

We're almost becoming friends here! Lol. 1 concern I've got is that the disk u have is evidently a dvd. Is the drive u put it in also a dvd or just a cd-rom?

U know, the other thing I'd do if I were u is to go to the Dell website, click the support link, & then look for the userguide of this new machine. It might well tell u how to get into the boot menu, etc., as well as give guidance regarding obtaining restore disks, etc.

more_horiz
I'll bet it's just a cd-rom although I'm not really sure how to tell other than everything says cd-rom and not DVD. I have gone to the Dell website and requested backup CD's??? It says that they will send out 1 "complimentary" but only 1. lol. I wasn't sure about the name backup CD but everything I've read has said that this is the reinstallation CD because this computer was running Windows XP Home Edition and the disk I had was for Windows XP Media Center Version 2005. Wow! I'm really learning a lot on this site. I have the other laptop that had some serious malware issues...so much so that everything shut down. I had to delete files and visit the registery file (which scared the crap out of me) and much, much more. Thank God, finally everything is working on MY laptop as it should. Now, if only I can get this other one working. Just for the heck of it, I'm going to leave this topic open and I'll let you know, abletec, how it turns out...seeing how we are friends now. HAHA!!!!

more_horiz
Bnasexton, I've been a computer technician for nearly 20 years now. & guess what? Editing the registry still scares the crap out of me & much, much more as well. Lol. I always get this really really sick feeling in my stomach when I've gotta do it, &, though I've never brought a machine down yet from a wrong edit, (maybe I shouldn't have just said that), that possibility always remains on my mind. I remember once I was helpin this lady in England clean up from some malware & I had to instruct her how to edit the registry & I don't think I breathed till she contacted me & said everything had gone all right.

You're ordering the right thing. If they close the topic, pm me. I'd like to know how u fare, &/or if u need my help again.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum