WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Security system won't let me install hijack this or malwarebytes

3 posters

descriptionSecurity system won't let me install hijack this or malwarebytes EmptySecurity system won't let me install hijack this or malwarebytes

more_horiz
It even shut down my computer! What do I do?

Okay. I'm in safe mode and was able to install malwarebytes, which is now scanning. I'll try running hijack this, too.

Last edited by windsong on 15th July 2009, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update to situation)

descriptionSecurity system won't let me install hijack this or malwarebytes EmptyRe: Security system won't let me install hijack this or malwarebytes

more_horiz
I also have no restore points available

descriptionSecurity system won't let me install hijack this or malwarebytes EmptyRe: Security system won't let me install hijack this or malwarebytes

more_horiz
Let me know how MBAM gets on.

more_horiz
It seems to have worked. I ran it in safe mode, and it said that it had to delete some of the files on restart. Is there something I should do to be sure it worked?

more_horiz

• Please download DDS by sUBs to your Desktop (Important!!) from one of these locations:
    Link 1
    Link 2
  • Double click DDS.scr to run.
  • When complete, two logs will open. Save both of the report to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste DDS.txt back here, I don't need to see attach.txt.

more_horiz
removing personal information

Last edited by windsong on 18th July 2009, 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
removing personal information

Last edited by windsong on 18th July 2009, 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
personal information

Last edited by windsong on 18th July 2009, 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz

• Download combofix from here
    Link 1
    Link 2
1. If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:

* Tools->Options->Main tab
* Set to "Always ask me where to Save the files".

2. During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:

Security system won't let me install hijack this or malwarebytes CF_download_FF

Security system won't let me install hijack this or malwarebytes CF_download_rename

3. It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.
4. Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.
5. Close any open browsers.
6. We need to disable your local AV (Anti-virus) before running Combofix.

• See HERE for how to disable your AV.
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe.
  • Follow the prompts. NOTE:
  • Allow combofix to run
  • Post C:\combofix.txt back here.

Note:
    Do not mouse click combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

more_horiz
Okay. Combo fix says it detects Norton running on my computer. I don't have it. I used to have a trial version, but I don't anymore. I tried to track down the program, but all I found were empty folders.

Also, I am uncomfortable having my computer information posted here indefinitely. Will there will be a time when I can delete the report by DDS?

more_horiz
I see, lets do it in safe mode so it won't interfere shall we, and once we finish I will remove your personal information 😉

Please do the following in Safe Mode with Networking: as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode with Networking" and press your Enter key.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.) Once in the start up menu, select "Safe Mode with Networking", then do the following instructions:

Once in safe mode with Networking, follow the ComboFix instructions.

more_horiz
I get the same message about Norton in Safe Mode. Combo Fix detects it running. I used the removal tool on Norton over a year ago. It's very strange.

Should I run Combo Fix even though it detects Norton?

more_horiz
Yes please.

more_horiz
personal information

Last edited by windsong on 18th July 2009, 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
personal information

Last edited by windsong on 18th July 2009, 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum