WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

+2
Doctor Inferno
Griff
6 posters

descriptionRegular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot... - Page 4 EmptyRe: Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

more_horiz
Just quickly, I've told MSN not to auto start, but because I use Outlook Express, it opens in my system tray when I launch Outlook. Very annoying. I can deal with it while we sort out the larger problem though. Smile...

descriptionRegular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot... - Page 4 EmptyRe: Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

more_horiz
Another quick update. Mbam scan done, I'm all good and clean. Smile...

more_horiz
Griff:

Ok, let's do a few things. If u aren't runnin raid on that system, which I believe u said u weren't, then I need for u to comb your bios *in depth* & disable anything having to do w/raid. U should study your mobo manual, but, in a situation like that, then I believe the text mode drivers are no longer required should u need to install windows again. Given that disk error, I wonder if your machine thinks it has a raid array, even though it doesn't.

Removal of messenger takes place under control panel > add/remove programs > windows components. Messenger can be disabled in outlook express by going to tools > options & unchecking the option to automatically logon to windows messenger as found in the general tab.

more_horiz
Hi again... I'm making those WinAmp changes you suggested now... I had to re-install WinAmp, for some reason it was crashing when I tried to launch it. I should have told you also, it did this last time I re-installed Windows and put WinAmp back on...

I'm only playing music from my C drive now, but I've still had three freezes tonight! The first was around 7:15pm, and I've updated and uploaded the App and Sys log files right after that first one. Here's links to the new TXT files:

App Log

Sys Log

How can I ensure I don't have Raid? I'm not 100% sure, but I'm 90% sure. I'm not all that well knowledgeable with Raid...

more_horiz
Griff, let's just say this--if you've only got 1 hard drive inside that computer, & u don't have that computer networked up to others where you're backing up data over the network, u don't have raid. From the description of your setup, that clearly seems to be the case. Let me look at these logs. Have u reset the option in control panel so that xp doesn't restart automatically on errors? Perhaps u could get a copy of the message when it freezes?

To do that, go to control panel > system, click the advanced tab, click the startup & recovery settings button, & uncheck the box that says on system failure, automatically restart.

more_horiz
Griff:

We're still getting a disk0\d error, e.g., the puter thinks there are 2 partitions on that drive. U sure u don't have a hȋdden 1 like a recovery disk?

On examining the timelines further, however, it does appear that the disk errors & the winamp application errors do *not* coincide. The winamp errors are occurring in module nde.dll, which is evidently the winamp media library database. Information on a fix found here:

It would also appear, Griff, that u are runnin some kind of bit torrent client while in process of playing winamp, & you're getting TCPIP/IP connection limitation errors. Were I u, I would disable your torrent client while playing your music. It actually looks like perhaps it's coming up on startup, & I would definitively prevent that, if I were u.

I am still curious about that d: partition. What drive letter is your cd drive? Are u runnin any kind of virtual machine or somethin?

more_horiz
Hey again. Here's the drives I have on my machine...

C (HELL): my primary HDD
E: my DVD Burner
S: my 2GB USB key
W: my 1TB external HDD

No virtual machine as far as I know! I'm not sure why my DVD is E and not D. Lately I've left the USB floppy disk drive plugged in, which was A drive, but to keep things simple I've left it unplugged the last few days.

I'm not sure about the hȋdden partition, how can I be sure? When I formatted this thing last, during the Windows installation I ensured I deleted all the partitions on C drive, created a new one, and then installed Windows on it.

Vuze is the Bitorrent program I use. I'll stay clear of using that for a while now. I didn't know it was auto-starting! Can I give you a screen shot of my msconfig > Startup list so you can tell me if anything in there is not as it ought to be?

I think you forgot to paste a link to a fix for the WinAmp error... Smile...

more_horiz
Griff:

Well, crudball! The url is:

Sorry--as per a friend: multitasking v. multi-task-ing 1. Doing several things badly all at the same time. Lol.

I'd happily check out your computer startup for u. However, Griff, since it usually isn't an issue I don't mention it, but now it is. I'm completely blind now, & the program that talks to me & tells me what's onscreen doesn't interpret screenshots as they're graphical & my screenreader only reads text. Obviously as a graphics designer u understand well the difference. However, if you'd go to
www.trendmicro.com
download a program called hijackthis, install it up, & then choose the option to scan & save a logfile & send it to knowledgeable folks, I'd be glad to check it out & offer suggestions. I sincerely apologize for having to ask u to accommodate my eyesight difficulties. It's a quick download & install, though, so hopefully it won't take too much of your time. The benefit is that it'll actually provide me w/more information than would MSConfig.

Let's do 1 last thing to check out this apparent d: partition:
1) Go to control panel > administrative tools > computer management > storage > disk manager. What are u seeing re: that d: partition?

Again, sorry to have to ask u to accommodate my eyesight problem. I hope it won't be too much inconvenience. Thanks for your time, patience, & understanding.

more_horiz
Griff, for whatever reason, looks like the url is being stripped by the forum. So, I'm thinkin now it wasn't me after all. I'll try pm-ing u w/it & see if that flies. Sorry. Hmm. I thought I recalled posting links to other folks & they worked fine. Weird. Just in case, it's:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=1977086#post1977086

more_horiz
Ok, so it didn't like my angle brackets at the beginning & end. Totally bizzarre! I won't pm u after all. AARRGG!

more_horiz
Hi again. Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your blindness. But don't feel it has in any way gotten in the way of us solving this evil computer problem! I already have Hijackthis downloaded somewhere, and I have used it before, so I will get that running in just a moment and post the results.

Ok, in Disk Manager I'm only seeing three disks:

C drive (HELL), W (1TB HDD) and E (DVD drive). I don't have my USB key in at the moment. So this is odd!

Thanks for the WinAmp info, I will sus that out ASAP. Smile...

more_horiz
Hi again. Smile...

Here's my HiJackThis Log.

more_horiz
Griff, your USB drive showing up although not connected is really not odd at all. These "fantom drives" tend to happen when legacy USB is enabled in bios as it allows the drives to become active b4 the OS starts.

What I think I'd like to see u do is to go back to disk manager, highlight your dvd drive, click the actions menu, then all tasks, then change drive letters & paths, & assign it to drive d:. Then we can see if those disk errors on disk0\d continue. If not, then for whatever reason the computer was trying to access something it thought was there but which really wasn't, thus creating the error. If we now get disk errors on disk0\c, then we really do have to consider hard drive or mobo controller problems. I rather suspect the latter is not the case but we still have to consider the possibility that a hard drive failure or controller problem could be causing your freezes. But since the disk errors in the system log seemed not to coincide w/the winamp errors, my suspicion is that changing the drive letter of your dvd will eliminate them.

So, let's have u fix your winamp database & change your dvd drive to d: & see how we go.

I do suggest also that u consider looking at your motherboard manual, or even calling their tech support to find out whether text-based drives are really needed. I used them when building hubby's computer the 1st time, but when it crashed, I called EVGA tech support, & they assured me they weren't needed unless raid was enabled in bios, &, indeed, the machine seems to be far more stable now w/o them. So this is really something worth considering, though another repartition/reformat/reinstall cycle is very likely somethin u would prefer to live without right now. Still, if it provides more stability, then it truly might be worth the hassle to configure the machine correctly. If u do decide that is the way to go, & your mobo does indeed not require text-based drivers unless u have raid enabled, then u might do well to turn off legacy USB in bios, reinstall windows so that drive letters are assigned correctly, then go back & re-enable legacy USB in bios once windows is back up.

Lastly, I have a motto, it's bbb, which stands for being blind bites, or, according to my preacher husband, being blind's a b-word (the pastoral version). But I get along ok, & there are a lot of folks far worse off, so I don't complain. It does irritate me when it inconveniences some1, like w/your situation, but most folks like yourself are really nice about it & accommodate those generally small things I ask for very willingly, of which I'm very appreciative. Computers have expanded the horizons of all disabled people significantly, allowing us to do things like read independently, control the household environment for those who are parallyzed, & can literally speak for those who cannot, thus allowing the disabled to do things that were impossible before their advent. & being blind doesn't really prevent me from helping folks on this forum, except for those small changes I have to sometimes ask folks to make to accommodate it.

I'll post regarding your hjt log when I see it.

more_horiz
abletec wrote:
Griff, your USB drive showing up although not connected is really not odd at all. These "fantom drives" tend to happen when legacy USB is enabled in bios as it allows the drives to become active b4 the OS starts.

Oh sorry, I meant to say I simply didn't have my USB key plugged in last time, so the drives showing up were correct.

Ok, I've changed my DVD drive to D. I wonder how long it had been on E for, because I hadn't noticed that until you picked up on it. I normally reserve D for my DVD drive.

I'm still in the process of figureing out the WinAmp settings, there's a lot to go through!

Did you see the HJT log in my last post?

more_horiz
Griff, that post went thru? When I sent it, I got this screen in what appeared to be French that, from what I could translate, indicated that the site was undergoing maintenance. So I thought it ate it. & I was really busy w/some stuff yesterday & hadn't had the time to rewrite. Am I ever glad I didn't have to, cuz obviously it was a long 1.

I did not see the hjt log. Let me look again. Probably what happened was that when I thought it ate my post I just left in frustration. Now I'm selecting & copying text in case that happens again. Actually it happened 2 mornings in a row & I should have done that yesterday b4 I sent, but, no--why would I be intelligent about it? Lol.

Now let me go see if I can't find that hjt log.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum