WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

+2
Doctor Inferno
Griff
6 posters

descriptionRegular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot... EmptyRegular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

more_horiz
Hi there, I've just formatted my machine and put Windows XP on it. I've also installed SP3.

The problem I'm having is a delayed reboot when my machine is starting up. During the boot I get a quick flash of the dreaded blue screen of death, and then the system restarts. Upon loading up again I am given the choice to booting up in Normal mode, Safe Mode, and a couple other options. Often trying the Normal mode again is fine and I get into Windows no problem. Sometimes it does the blue screen again, and back to the boot options.

I've had this problem for a long time, usually it only occurs after I've formatted my system and reinstalled Windows. My copy of Windows is a special version I made myself using nLite Streamline so I could include SP2, but more importantly so I could include some Intel mobo drivers. The reason for this is my stupid Intel mobo came with a floppy disk with special drivers for use with SATA HDDs, which I have. Yet the mobo doesn't have IDE sockets, so when I first built this machine I was at odds to how I was meant to get this working (without going out and buying an external USB floppy disk drive - which I refused to do out of principal).

Anyways, I suspect this is coming back to haunt me, so to speak, and I would like to know if there is anything I can do about it. Hopefully without formatting again since I have JUST got everything back installed.

descriptionRegular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot... EmptyRe: Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

more_horiz
Hello? Anyone?

descriptionRegular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot... EmptyRe: Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

more_horiz
Hello,

To better troubleshoot this problem, I need to have the error code of the blue screen. It usually appears at the lower area of the screen and appears as 0x00000010.

more_horiz
Ok, it'll be tricky to get as it appears in the blink of an eye, but next time I see it I will try ti hit Pause / Break on my keyboard and get the number. Smile...

more_horiz
Non-tech related advice on how to get him the error code: Get your digital camera and record it as it boots and then watch it in slow motion on your computer. I completely understand not wanting to reformat; I will do almost anything to avoid it.

more_horiz
Hi there, I am back! Sorry for the long delay.

I have finally captured the blue screen with a digital camera. Which part / line of code of it do I need to re-type on here? The quality isn't too great so I might have to do it again. *groan*

more_horiz
Hello,

We need the code which looks like 0x00000008E.

more_horiz
Ok cool... It looks like this:

"0x00000001 (0x00000003, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xB702F71A)"

Like I said before, it's a lil hard to read, so I hope that's right... The "B" might be an "8"

more_horiz
Hi again guys, has those codes provided any insight to my problem?

more_horiz
Oh also, in addition to the failed boot and blue screen error, I am getting frequent freezes. It happens in the middle of doing nothing and when I am doing stuff (playing games, listening to music, etc).

more_horiz
Hello,

It seems tha your Windows is corrupted. Do you have your XP Cd to do a repair?

more_horiz
Oh damn!

Yeah I do have the Windows XP CD, I think I have tried this before, but I will try again and report back...

I am thinking I will bite the bullet and buy an external USB floppy disk drive (see my first post for why). And then install a normal Windows XP and then use the Intel floppy disk for the RAID / SATA drivers.

more_horiz
Hi again, ok, I went to try the Windows Recovery Console, but I got as far as the command prompt, and had no idea what to do. I recall back to using DOS and typed "dir" and I got a list of files, but I wasn't sure what else I could / should do...

Can someone tell me?

more_horiz
Hello,

Type in chkdsk /r

more_horiz
Danke!

more_horiz
well,really hard for me to understand....try uninstalling some softwares from your PC...

more_horiz
I've run chkdsk and so far everything is looking good... I will post again with more news ASAP if / when I see or encounter more errors / freezes.

more_horiz
Hi again.

After running chkdsk, I had a good run of no blue screens, but then I had one. I ran chkdsk again, and have since had no blue screens, but I am still getting frequent system freezes. I'm not sure if this is related the the blue screens, but it's a problem I will do nearly anything to get fixed. Any suggestions?

more_horiz
What are the security softwares you have installed? You can try to use Start >> run >> msconfig and remove the start up items one by one and see if one of them causes the problem.

more_horiz
I have Spybot and AVG only.

Hmmm, bummer, that's tedious, but I guess it has to be done! Thanks for the advice...

more_horiz
Griff:

Let's try this:
1) Go into control panel, either by clicking start > control panel or start > settings >control panel;
2) Click administrative tools, then event viewer;
3) Click the view menu & uncheck information;
4) Highlight the applications log, right click, choose save as, call it griffs event log.txt, & post to this topic. Hopefully it won't be too long.

If it is, u can just highlight any errors u see, click the copy button, & paste them into notepad or something similar, then select the text & paste it into a reply.

If you're not seeing any errors in the applications log, highlight the system log & follow the same instructions as above.

Another thing u can do is go to control panel, click system, click the advanced tab, click performance, click startup & recovery, & uncheck the box to restart on system failure. This might give u a chance to read the error screen & determine what is causing the problem.

I know this is kinda tedious & I apologize for that, but I'm trying to see if we can't get some sense of what the errors you're experiencing are.

more_horiz
Oh cool, I never knew about this section in Control Panel...

No need to apologise for the tediousness, I'm very appreciative of any help. Smile...

Ok, the log was quite big, so here are the errors (there were also warnings, but I haven't posted them):

12/08/2009 6:54:28 PM Application Error Error (100) 1000 N/A HELL Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x0001295d.

12/08/2009 6:54:20 PM Application Error Error None 1000 N/A HELL Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module comctl32.dll, version 6.0.2900.5512, fault address 0x000048d6.

9/08/2009 8:41:44 PM Application Error Error None 1000 N/A HELL Faulting application coolpro2.exe, version 2.1.3097.0, faulting module coolpro2.exe, version 2.1.3097.0, fault address 0x00088c08.

9/08/2009 8:36:43 PM Application Error Error None 1000 N/A HELL Faulting application coolpro2.exe, version 2.1.3097.0, faulting module coolpro2.exe, version 2.1.3097.0, fault address 0x00088c08.

9/08/2009 8:36:03 PM Application Error Error None 1000 N/A HELL Faulting application coolpro2.exe, version 2.1.3097.0, faulting module coolpro2.exe, version 2.1.3097.0, fault address 0x00088c08.

9/08/2009 7:08:04 PM gusvc Information None 0 N/A HELL The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( gusvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service stopped.

9/08/2009 3:26:59 PM RichVideo Information None 0 N/A HELL The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RichVideo ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

9/08/2009 3:26:59 PM LightScribeService Information None 4 N/A HELL The LightScribe Service started successfully.

9/08/2009 3:26:56 PM gusvc Information None 0 N/A HELL The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( gusvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

9/08/2009 3:26:56 PM gupdate1ca1684d581d8d2 Information None 0 N/A HELL The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( gupdate1ca1684d581d8d2 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

9/08/2009 2:49:08 PM Google Update Error None 20 HELL\David HELL The description for Event ID ( 20 ) in Source ( Google Update ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Network Request Error.
Error: 0x80040801. Http status code: 0.
Url=https://tools.google.com/service/update2
Trying config: source=FireFox, direct connection.
trying CUP:WinHTTP.
Send request returned 0x80040801. Http status code 0.
trying WinHTTP.
trying CUP:iexplore.
Trying config: source=auto, wpad=1, script=.
trying WinHTTP.
Trying config: source=FireFox, direct connection.
trying WinHTTP.
Trying config: source=auto, wpad=1, script=.
Send request returned 0.

8/08/2009 6:45:01 PM Application Hang Error (101) 1002 N/A HELL Hanging application MirrorsEdge.exe, version 1.0.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

8/08/2009 12:54:57 PM Application Error Error None 1000 N/A HELL Faulting application winamp.exe, version 5.5.5.2419, faulting module pmp_p4s.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000037c5.

2/08/2009 6:18:33 PM Application Hang Error (101) 1002 N/A HELL Hanging application DVD Shrink 3.2.exe, version 3.2.0.15, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

31/07/2009 7:55:30 PM Winlogon Information None 1002 N/A HELL The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

31/07/2009 7:55:17 PM Application Error Error (100) 1000 N/A HELL Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x0001295d.

25/07/2009 2:42:59 PM Application Hang Error (101) 1002 N/A HELL Hanging application MediaMonkey.exe, version 3.0.6.1190, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

25/07/2009 2:05:28 PM Application Error Error None 1000 N/A HELL Faulting application nero.exe, version 7.5.13.1, faulting module mpeg2dmx.ax, version 2.0.84.30429, fault address 0x0000dff3.

25/07/2009 2:04:51 PM Application Error Error None 1000 N/A HELL Faulting application nero.exe, version 7.5.13.1, faulting module mpeg2dmx.ax, version 2.0.84.30429, fault address 0x0000dff3.

Let me know if you need the warning logs posted. Smile...

more_horiz
Griff:

U r definitely getting a lot of errors, but no 1 app seems to be predominating.

Let's try this:
1) Click start, then run, & type explorer.exe in the box;
2) highlight your c drive, then right-click it;
3) Choose properties from the popup menu that appears;
4) Click the tools tab, then click check volume for errors;
5) Check both boxes, e.g., fix file errors & attempt to recover bad sectors;
6) Click start.

You'll get a warning that windows can't do it now, & it'll ask if u wanna do it when windows restarts. Tell it yes, restart windows, then go to work or go to bed or go out for the evening--anything but try to use the machine.

After you're done doing that, defrag the drive by following the instructions above, but instead of clicking "check the drive for errors", click "defragment now". Disconnecting your machine from the internet by unplugging your lan connection &/or turning off/disabling your wireless & then suspending your antivirus might make it go faster. Be certain, however, to re-enable your antivirus prior to reconnecting your machine to the network. Again, my advice is to do something other than use your machine, as any disk writes will slow the process considerably.

Thank you for your cooperation w/my requests for information. I hate to just go plunging in until I have at least some idea of what might be occurring. I guess it's my training as a doctor, but I definitively like to diagnose b4 treating if I can. Again, thank u.

more_horiz
Hi again Abletec,

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for the lack of response. I will be doing these Error and Defrag scans tonight. Smile...

more_horiz
A quick update... I've run the error check scan on my C drive (not my 1TB external drive yet though) and I've also run Defrag on C drive. I'm still getting the blue screen and random system freezes. I have a log file of this, should I post it?

more_horiz
Griff, if errors strike again--I saw your application log, which u were *so* great to post--next time u get a BSoD I'd like to see your system log. Same instructions--control panel > administrative tools > event viewer--but this time right click the system log, choose save as, choose text, & post here. Hope u don't need to but...

Like I said, I guess I prefer to try to get at least a reasonable diagnosis b4 suggesting a fix. Takes a little longer & there's no guarantee of getting it right, but one hopes it's at least somewhat helpful.

Blessings.

more_horiz
Ok, I tried to post this with just the warnings and errors, but it was way too big. So here's a couple links to TXT files.

Full System Log

Just the Warnings and Errors

more_horiz
Griff, well, I think we're finally coming to the end of this. I'm afraid it might not be a very satisfactory end, but sometimes endings in & of themselves are what's needed. So I don't get my exercise jumping to conclusions, however, let me ask u a couple questions:
1) Do u notice that the freezes seem to be occurring when you're burning &/or accessing a cd?
2) Is your primary hard disk a sata or ide drive. If u don't know, go to programs > accessories >system tools > system information, highlight hardware resources, click file, click export, & save it as grifs sysinfo log.txt or something similar.

I have a feeling you're experiencing a hardware failure & that it may well be on your motherboard. There are things we can do to work around it. U should also tell me what the brand & model of your machine is, & whether it's a lap/desktop.

Thanks for hanging in so tenaciously w/me. I'm going out of town tomorrow for the weekend, so if there's a delay in my reply, that's the reason.

Blessings for your day.

more_horiz
Hey again...

My primary HDD is a SATA, and it's a desktop.

I wouldn't be surprised if I am having problems with the mobo. Here's why: This Intel motherboard came with a floppy disk with special drivers for SATA HDDs. However, I don't have a floppy drive, and STUPIDLY enough, the Intel motherboard doesn't have ANY IDE slots to use a floppy drive!

I think Intel expected people in this situation to go out and buy an external USB floppy drive... Which I refused to do on principal.

So when I tried to install Windows without the Intel-SATA drivers, it failed. Eventually I found out about a thing called Streamlining, and a program called nLite, which allowed me to make a custom install CD of Windows, which included the Intel-SATA drivers. And while I was at it, I was able to add SP2 to the custom Windows install CD.

I think I have to bite the bullet, buy an external USB floppy drive and re-install Windows and use the floppy disk that came with the Intel mobo... What do you think?

more_horiz
Griff, these sata drivers can create some real headaches & heartaches. Make certain your bios is set to ide mode (location varies, so u may have to poke about in there). Also, I believe some dude named Fernando recommended a subset of sata drivers for use w/nLite rather than those that came w/the mobo (I believe that's on NLite's website). Having said all that, Bro, computers aren't acquainted w/general principles & I think u just need to bite the bullet, buy a floppy drive, & do the job right.

Let me know how it all turns out for u, ok?

more_horiz
Thanks for all your help, and yes, I will certainly be posting again when I have made changes and got this thing fixed up... or not!

Do you foresee any problems with an external USB floppy drive not working during the Windows install process? Do you think the USB floppy drive will need extra drivers itself?

Can you tell me more about changing the bios to idle mode? What will that do? I know how to get to the bios and alter the settings, so I will give that a go too... Should this be something I do when I re-install Windows or now?

Last edited by Griff on 25th August 2009, 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Griff, do the bios thing now. It's designed to make the sata appear more like a native ide drive. Actually I think that installing using NLite w/the bios in ide mode should really work. Seems like folks are doing this successfully from what I'm reading. The USB floppy drive will not need drivers.

Griff, if you've got skype or somethin & feel like u need help w/this I'd be happy to come aboard & assist, though u strike me as being pretty technically competent.

Keep me posted. We've come a long way.

more_horiz
Hi again. I've changed the bio to read the SATA as IDE (it was set to RAID). There was a good few hours or so where the computer didn't stall and upon starting up I didn't see any blue screens. But it was short lived, and the computer still stalls now and then.

I'm in the process of backing up all my stuff and getting ready to re-install Windows. I will wait until the USB floppy drive arrives, which I am about to order now... I think I should prep an nLite Windows install CD too, just in case. What do you think?

more_horiz
Griff, what's the mobo model & manufacturer on this? & if it freezes again, would u send application & system logs like u did previously, *noting the time when the freeze occurred?* Looking at the logs was helpful, but, because it was hard to tell when it actually froze up, it might not have been as instructive as it could be.

Make certain your drivers are the latest from the mobo manufacturer or MS. The mobo ones probably have increased functionality.

more_horiz
Griff, 1 last thing. Make certain your usb is set to legacy in bios, or we're gonna have problemos. U can set it back again if you'd like, but for the floppy drive to work, it needs to be set that way. Often, it's the default.

more_horiz
The motherboard is Intel DP35DP. I'm about to check for new drivers for it now.

Sure thing, next freeze, I will post Application and System Event Logs. Smile...

USB is in legacy mode, and has always been apparently.

more_horiz
It just frooze up on me now. So here is a new Application and System log file:

App Log

Sys Log

I think the DCOM error in the System log is the one to look at, as the freeze took place at 2:20pm. BTW, I don't use MSN Messenger at all, but to stop it from running I renamed the .exe file.

I've found a bunch of updates for my mobo here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2782&OSFullName=Windows+XP+Professional*&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

Do you think I need all of these? I've downloaded the Chipset, RAID, Audio and Intel Management Engine driver updates. Do you think the Bios is needed? I just installed the Audio driver updates and it stopped my audio from working from the rear sockets. I've always had problems with this mobo's audio. I've used System Restore to go back to the older drivers, and I'm good again.

Last edited by Griff on 25th August 2009, 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Oh one more thing... I think the one constant thing that all these freezes have in common is I have been using my 1TB external HDD to either play music from, or watch a movie on (99% of the time it's playing music thru Winamp) at the time.

So I wonder if my motherboard is not handling this well and throwing a hissy fit.

I used to keep all my music and movies on the primary HDD, but I came close to running out of space, so I threw them all on the external drive...

more_horiz
Ironically, it just froze up then, right after I made that post. AND I wasn't playing music or accessing my external drive at all... So yeah... :/

more_horiz
I don't wanna jump for joy just yet, but after installing those Intel driver updates (Chipset, RAID and Management Engine) I haven't had any freezing. I've been doing all the things that usually results in freezing too... So yeah... Fingers crossed this lasts!

more_horiz
Could've been those drivers had glitches in 'em, Griff, which the new 1s fixed. Let's hope u won't have to install windows yet again lol. I always hate doin' that.

more_horiz
Hello! It's been a while, I know... I finally got the USB external floppy drive, and finally got some free time to format and re-install Windows, which I did yesterday.

The stupid thing is still randomly freezing on me. Sad tearing I'm very upset and don't know what else to do now. I might just take to to a PC store and pay someone to fix it for me.

One good thing though, I haven't seen the blue screen of death in a LONG time... So it's just the random freezes now. However, it happens frequently, and it's a big deal. Usually it happens two or three times per day, and I only use the computer when I get home from work for a few hours. So in that time span from roughly 5:30 to 10pm, I get on average two or three freezes. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Since posting last I've been lucky enough to have one, or maybe two days TOPS where it hasn't done it at all.

more_horiz
Hay, Griff, the next time u get a freeze, let's do the following immediately, or as close to that, as possible
1) Go to control panel, administrative tools, event viewer;
2) Double click on application log;
3) Click the view menu, then click filter, & uncheck information & success audit, then click ok;
4) Right click again, choose save as, & select text file.

Do likewise w/the system log, & paste the contents in a message so I can look at them. Let me know what time the freeze occurred so I can isolate that more precisely rather than wading thru tons of events lol. Dog gone it! I had hoped those new mobo drivers would have helped our cause.

Also, Griff, here's something else we might try:
1) Go to control panel > system & click the advanced tab;
2) Click the startup & recovery options, & make sure that the checkbox that says on system failure, startup automatically is *unchecked*. That way, u might be able to read (& copy for my benefit) any error screens that appear. That could well shed light on what is occurring.

Thanks again so much for all your patience & cooperation, & I'm sorry your problem has not in fact been resolved.

more_horiz
Hi again, thanks so much for sticking with me through all this! Smile...

Ok, it just happened now, nearly exactly at 6:30pm.

I have a sneaky suspicion my motherboard is the culprit throughout all this. I don't have a separate sound card, and I have had music playing thru WinAmp probably 95% of the times the computer has froze up. I've also had difficulties with the SigmaTel audio drivers of late. The application suddenly opened itself and tried to tell me I had speakers or headphones attached to the front sockets of my computer tower (which I didn't). I turned off the option to have 'Automatic Jack Monitoring' as that might have caused that issue. But i should have also informed you when I first got this computer I had to install the Intel Audio Drivers a few times until it succeeded, as the first couple times it simply failed to install correctly. I didn't have this problem when I did the total format and re-install just two days ago.

Anyways, I should keep this short as it JUST froze on me again! GRRRR!! I updated the time this happened (to 6:30pm). And yes, I was playing music...

Here's the logs:

App Log

Sys Log

Thanks again for all the help!

more_horiz
Griff, 1 thing I'm seeing that *really* troubles me is in your system log an entry that states that there has been a disk error detected on disk 0\d. Do u have 2 partitions on this drive? I'm beginnin' to think perhaps you've got hard drive failure occurring or about to occur.

I noted the DCom server error. What I wish you'd do, as opposed to renaming the .exe file, is simply uninstall windows messenger from the add/remove applet in control panel, if it is that u don't use it. Rename the .exe back again properly or you'll have problems doing that.

You've also got a timeout sending a plug-&-play notification to winamp. There's a lot of information--including a fix--for computers running win2k regarding that, but not xp. I'll continue to look. 1 thing I do wish you'd do, temporarily if u wish, is to go into Winamp's preferences & tell it you're not connected to the internet. I am seeing some indications that you're exceeding the number of TCP/IP connections, & that should not be occurring. U might also wanna scan your machine for malware, just to be certain, though if u just reformatted that sucker 2 days ago, one would think that might not be the case. Still....

I am still troubled regarding the possibility that either your hard drive is failing or that the proper drivers for it are not installed.

I'm heading out shortly but when I return I will review all our correspondence in order to make certain I'm not missing anything. When things get protracted over a fairly long period of time, it's easy to do.

Have a good day, & I'll check w/u later.

more_horiz
I didn't get around to passing on some additional info last night... Two of the freezes I had occurred about 20 seconds into playing the song thru WinAmp. Being persistent, I tried again, but not a third time as I was downloading a large file and running a AVG virus scan. I will try to play that particular song again, right after I post this and see what happens...

I am unsure if I mentioned this before, but I keep all my music files on an external HDD. It's a Western Digital 1TB USB external HDD, so I'm wondering if that is causing the problems, as it is in use 95% of the time the freezes are happening.

more_horiz
Ok, it didn't freeze this time... :/

more_horiz
Sorry, I forgot to reply to your questions...

No, I don't have any partitions, but like I said, I have my external Western Digital HDD in addition to my C drive, which from memory is also a Western Digital, but only 400GB (I'm at work now so I can't confirm this for you).

I didn't think we (as Windows users) were ever given the option to uninstall Messenger. It's been a long time since I looked at doing that, so I will give it a shot tonight.

I'll make that 'no internet connection' change to WinAmp too, and do a Malware scan. Do you know if AVG checked for Malware or just virus'? Cos I did a fast scan with AVG last night. I did find a trojan in two files, which I promptly deleted (the install files for Cyberlink Power DVD).

more_horiz
Griff:

Download AntiMalwareBytes from
www.malwarebytes.org
& scan your hard drives. Both the internal & the external 1. Also consider scanning your external wd drive w/AVG as well. You're certain u don't have a d: partition on that internal hard drive? e.g., like a recovery partition or something? That error message would certainly indicate the computer thinks so. Also, Griff, I am not sure whether the disk error you're getting is an actual hard drive error or a disk controller error, which is on the motherboard.

It is better to have songs on an internal rather than an external hard drive, simply because transmission of the audio is faster on the internal. U might look at Winamp's buffering options & see if u can't increase audio buffering. U might also play w/the visualization effects, as a lot of visuals can mess up the playback of the audio. Lastly, u may wish to experiment w/the wave output plugin rather than the direct sound output plugin to see if that makes any difference.

If u can't uninstall messenger, open it, & in its option menu, choose not to run it at startup.

more_horiz
Oh you know what? Since I was re-installing all my programs, I have some programs as ISO files, so I was using Daemon Tools to emulate a fake CD / DVD drive, and THAT might have still been open and showing when the freezes occurred. I've turned that off, so I can update the App and Sys Log TXT files when it freezes next if you'd like?

I think I might just buy a new HDD for all my media files (music, movies, etc) because the primary internal 400GB one is getting full, which is why I started using the external 1TB one. And I originally planned to use that JUST for backing my files up.

When I did the AVG fast virus scan last night I included the 1TB HDD... It found the same two trojans that were simply copies of the Power DVD install files I had backed up.

I don't use any visuals on WinAmp (unless you could the lil wavelength thingy. I have been warned the newest WinAmp is a resources hog...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum