WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSolvedsystem lockdown! -help!

more_horiz
I have Windows XP Professional Edition and I’m the administrator and only user. Somehow the command prompt has been disabled by the administrator. I think there is a way of changing it in the Registry, but when I tried REGEDIT it stated this had been also disabled by the administrator. Help!

descriptionSolvedRe: system lockdown! -help!

more_horiz
The options to enable the command prompt and Registry Editor are controlled by registry keys that you can’t now edit. You could create a .REG file with the key settings in and double-click that to run it, or you could use the Group Policy Editor or a tweaking tool to get the command line back without re-enabling the Registry Editor.

Alternatively, the WinGuides site has a ready-made .REG file to unlock the Registry Editor at www.winguides.com/downloads /unlock.reg. This changes the value of DisableRegistryTools in the keys HKEY_CURRENT_ USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\System (for the current user) and HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\System (for all users) to 0. Setting it to 1 locks the Registry Editor.

There’s also another way of locking the Registry keys, by changing the permissions. If you can open the Registry Editor, right-click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_USERS keys in turn; for each one choose Permissions and give yourself Full Control.

Once you can use the Registry Editor, to re-enable the command prompt you need to change the DisableCMD value under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Policies\Microsoft\ Windows\System to 0 to use the command prompt or 2 if you only want to modify the Registry using .REG files. If the value isn’t there, create it as a DWORD and fill in the value.

8)
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum